Tips for organization

Kallie

This year many of us had to face the challenge of organizing our work/study process ourselves, and I thought it would be good to share what we have learned about ourselves and offer some pieces of advice for others. I'll start:

Always have your task in front of you. Have the right tabs open, put your textbooks on your desk, so you'd always see them. I've found that if I can't see what I need to do, I completely forget about it and move to something different. That's especially helpful for people with AD(H)D!

13 minutes ago, ScarfOfSexualPreference said:

Use a planner and personalize it!! I give my planner a theme for the week, and use different colored pens to keep it happy-feeling!

Aw, that's so cute! I usually use online spreadsheets for planning, but I always make them pastel.

And I prefer to set long-term goals, write only what I need to have done by the end of every week or month and do what I feel like each day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My advice is that sometimes physical stuff is more motivational than digital. Example of something you could try: every morning write five things down on a piece of paper that you want to get done that day. Keep the paper with you and cross them out as you do them. Crossing them out physically is going to feel more satisfying than checking them of on a phone app.

Add folders to your bookmarks bar, so when you bookmark something, it is easy to find again. That way you can close tabs without losing them as well.

If you’re like me, and incapable of keeping things neat around you for more than a few days, have a time every few weeks where you organize it.

If you are like me in that you use whatever is nearest to you to take notes, despite having specific places for said notes, make sure you eventually put everything in the same place.

• 2 weeks later...

get rid of stuff.

OK, this is one I really need to follow more often because my crafting instinct is to horde on the grounds I might be able to make something out of that trash (nope, I won't). but it is so much easier to be organised if you just have less stuff.

This goes for work organisation as well, I was much better organised once I got rid of the enormous amount of old notes I had which I never used but needed to move around to find the like three useful things that I always needed to check.

• Like 1