Is it just me?

Aroacerabbit

Question

I feel like I've asked a lot of questions recently but here we go. Looking back at when I was younger, even a few years ago, whenever I pictured and dreamed about getting married, there were certain things I always imagined. What my dress would look like, what the food and cake would be, and even the decorations. The one thing I could never picture was who would stand at the altar with me. Whenever I imagined that part of the wedding, it was supper blurred (like pixelated to the point you cannot tell anything about them. Gender, hair, clothes, etc) or just nothing there. I didn’t know that wasn’t normal until my friend was talking about her dream wedding and how when she dreamed about it, there was a woman standing there with a dress and stuff! I was shocked, but looking back, it makes a lot of sense. Lol. Has anyone else had something like this where they imagine their wedding but never who they’re marrying? Or is it just me?

5 answers to this question

absolutely, i did that as a kid.  my friend and i even used to 'plan' weddings in a notebook, the season, venue, food, decor, like we were wedding planners.  as for mine, it never crossed my mind to give any thought to my future husband (i knew i liked boys).  i didn't think about the ceremony at all.  and now that i know i don't want to get married, i still think about the other stuff--especially the dress, since i'm a designer--just idly, for fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, as a kid I loved the idea of marriage, but never any of the actual content or how to get there. It was just a sort of, for fun. I still think it could be a bit fun. You don’t have to have the same experience, though! (Also, thanks for mentioning this, you kind of made a bunch of issues click for me! It really helped me realize some stuff!)

• Like 2

I thought this was really funny for some reason, just you all by yourself at the beautifully decorated altar in a horrendously expensive dress. Like when Sue in Glee married herself!

I never imagined a wedding, per se, but I did sometimes imagine having a significant other that I was living with in the future and it was the same thing there. The focus was never on the person, but rather that we had a nice apartment and a stable economy and a fat cat. Strange how this person was never home when imaginary future me was there ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tylore said:

Yeah, as a kid I loved the idea of marriage, but never any of the actual content or how to get there. It was just a sort of, for fun. I still think it could be a bit fun. You don’t have to have the same experience, though! (Also, thanks for mentioning this, you kind of made a bunch of issues click for me! It really helped me realize some stuff!)

Thank you! And I’m glad I could help! Lol.

6 hours ago, Oatpunk said:

I thought this was really funny for some reason, just you all by yourself at the beautifully decorated altar in a horrendously expensive dress. Like when Sue in Glee married herself!

I never imagined a wedding, per se, but I did sometimes imagine having a significant other that I was living with in the future and it was the same thing there. The focus was never on the person, but rather that we had a nice apartment and a stable economy and a fat cat. Strange how this person was never home when imaginary future me was there ?

Haha. That image of me as Sue in my brain is hysterical. And I agree, I have had that kind of dream/imagined that scenario and strangely, the significant other never showed up! Maybe they just had a super busy work schedule???‍♀️?

• Like 1

I definitely had this a couple of times as well. After someone elsess wedding I would imagine what it would be like for me but not with any particular person, just for the awesome party.

I also remember daydreaming about a perfect date, which turns out was just a really chill day with a good friend and I had no interest in who that person actually was.