AUREA wbsite (aro-spec website) - we're in beta!

bydontost

On the behalf of the team working on the Aromantic-spectrum Union for Recognition, Education, and Advocacy (AUREA) website, I'm happy to announce that the beta version of the website is up at www.aromanticism.org! Since we're in beta, the site isn't yet a final product and to make it so we'd like to hear back from the community. We'd like to invite you to visit the website so you can take a look or read what is there and if you notice something could be corrected - please inform us about that by writing to us at contact@aromanticism.org. We'd be happy to receive feedback about substantive content, like resources or FAQ, though if you see a broken link or a site functionality issue comes up, you can report that too. If you take time to help us out this way - big thanks! If not - the beta will last 2 weeks, so you may come visit us after the launch of the final version at aromanticism.org!

• Like 6

@raavenb2619 Tumblr can be a little hectic when it comes to tracking down peoples feedback, so while we aren't putting an open link to the beta on Tumblr quite yet we do have a select group of Tumblr bloggers that we're asking to look over the site while it's still in beta. If you know a few Tumblr users who you think might want to look over the sight you're welcome to share the link with them, but we want to finish the beta period before posting the website link there. Currently, we are looking for aro's of color and aro men in particular who would like to give feedback since those experiences aren't as prevalent within our core team.

Thank you so much for your support and willingness to signal boost, it's greatly appreciated and we definitely encourage it once we're out of beta! We'll make another post when the website goes into Alpha so that it's easy for people to keep track.

• Like 1

Guest Chandrakirti

Great start to a site I can see myself using daily... I'm just a bit confused about the identity glossary as the first 3 sound so similar I can't detach them from each other and the last one is too widely encompassing for me, so I wouldn't know where to place myself as an aroace.

It is, however, a work in progress and comes across as a much needed space.

I have not finish to look yet,  but I notice that you wrote alloromatic instead of alloromantic wmin the FAQ, in the answer of the question "Are aromantics lonely without romantic relationships?" (It's written in reader with the links to the glossary) That's just a detail but I wanted to say it before I forget.

By the way, with the lin to the glossary, it leads us to the top of the glossary page instead of leading us to the word we are looking for.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chandrakirti said:

Great start to a site I can see myself using daily... I'm just a bit confused about the identity glossary as the first 3 sound so similar I can't detach them from each other and the last one is too widely encompassing for me, so I wouldn't know where to place myself as an aroace.

It is, however, a work in progress and comes across as a much needed space.

Great! And I'm unsure what you mean by this, is it correct to assume this is not a suggestion to change anything on the website, but a matter of personal identity?

3 hours ago, nonmerci said:

I have not finish to look yet,  but I notice that you wrote alloromatic instead of alloromantic wmin the FAQ, in the answer of the question "Are aromantics lonely without romantic relationships?" (It's written in reader with the links to the glossary) That's just a detail but I wanted to say it before I forget.

By the way, with the lin to the glossary, it leads us to the top of the glossary page instead of leading us to the word we are looking for.

Oops, thanks, fixed that. Thanks for reporting this too, we are working out what made the links (and anchors) break this way.

• Like 1

Perioriented is in the glossary. Varioriented is not in the glossary. This makes little sense.

Aplatonic is in the glossary, Quoiplationic is not.

The definition of Monogamy repulsion appears to have been abbreviated, to the point where it dosn't make much sense. It's intended to be allegorical to romance repulsion. Whilst addressing that "monogamy" describes, at least, four different things within relationships.

Panaromantic and Omniaromantic probably shouldn't be considered any more synonymous than pansexual and omnisexual.

I've only encountered Lush used as a contraction of Lust crush. Which would be sexual, rather than sensual. What is the origin of Swish?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nonmerci said:

I have not finish to look yet,  but I notice that you wrote alloromatic instead of alloromantic wmin the FAQ, in the answer of the question "Are aromantics lonely without romantic relationships?"

I think that question does not always have a simple answer.
Including factors such as aromantics being 'dumped' by friends getting into romantic relationships or societies which are highly alloromantic/amantonormative thus providing few opportunities for non-romantic social interaction.

@Mark

Varioriented was mentioned as part of Mixed Orientation Identity; we will cross-list it to include both terms more visibly.

We will not add Quoiplatonic because we already have aplatonic spectrum and mentioned it can have any prefix assigned to it, such as demiplatonic; quoiplatonic would fall under that category and therefore is already included.  Though, we may edit the definition of aplatonic-spectrum to list quoiplatonic as an example alongside demiplatonic.

We will rephrase the definition for monogamy repulsion; you are encouraged to email us at contact@aromanticism.org to help form an accurate and concise definition.

This is the source we have for omniaromantic & panaromantic, and in it the two terms are listed as synonyms with a single definition for them both.  The use of these prefixes in this context is not analogous to how they are used in pansexual and omnisexual.  Rather than being a descriptor of genders towards which people are attracted, in omniaromantic & panaromantic it is used to convey a lack of all attractions; presumably, the person who coined it made both terms since the pre-fixes are both associated with the meaning "all".  Overall, they will not be listed separately because that would require having separate definitions.

Lush & Swish are both listed in the arospecawarenessweek's glossary.  They list this post as the source for both of these terms (though it is unclear whether they coined the terms or just popularized them).

As a general reminder, we prefer to get feedback via email at contact@aromanticism.org because it is easier for us to keep track of.

Guest Chandrakirti
18 hours ago, bydontost said:

Great! And I'm unsure what you mean by this, is it correct to assume this is not a suggestion to change anything on the website, but a matter of personal identity?

Oops, thanks, fixed that. Thanks for reporting this too, we are working out what made the links (and anchors) break this way.

Yes it's just a matter of me trying to see what differences there are between the first three identities.

I'm just a plain old AAA...agendered a romantic asexual, so looking to see which one is me and what the others mean.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 12:04 AM, bydontost said:

We'd like to invite you to visit the website so you can take a look or read what is there and if you notice something could be corrected - please inform us about that by writing to us at contact@aromanticism.org.

Approximately what should we be expecting in the way of turn-around time for emails?

Hi @Coyote

Our PR Team is getting to all the emails as fast as possible. We are an all volunteer team and we are trying to give equal time to all feedback so unfortunately response time is a little slow, but we have received your email and are working on addressing your feedback.

Thank you for your concern, you should be receiving an email back before the beta period is over.