aihpen

Can cis people feel dysphoria?

On 10/27/2016 at 4:08 PM, Miles said:

Okay, I'm a mental health major and sociology nerd, there's a chapter on gender in my psych textbook, and I'm a dysphoric nonbinary person whose first binder should arrive within about three weeks. When people are uncomfortable with expectations to be feminine or masculine, that's called gender role strain. And if they want to do something like bind, take hormones, get surgery, use different pronouns, if they're uncomfortable with people seeing them as strictly male/female, if they want to use a gender ambiguous nickname...well, they might want to look into whether they're actually cis.

You know, I never knew there was a term for it and I am very thankful for your expertise. I sometimes have cis people tell me they "never think about their gender(But being expected to (insert gender role stereotype here) annoys them too) so what makes them different than me who is nonbinary" and I didnt know there was a term to describe it so thank you. 

I have dysphoric hypomania as well as gender dysphoria so to me it was always a clearly definable feeling for me so pinpointing it didnt take a lot of effort/existential angst.

Disphoria is discomfort related to something with which one consciously or unconsciously identifies in the self. Hair, libido, gender, warts, foreskins, hymens, skin color, blemishes, moles, roles, responsibilities, fetishes, affections, religion, political orientation, one's place in the bell curve ...

Disphoria brings us to change the self. It can be healthy. It can be dangerous. Unawares it can hurt other people. How one chooses to respond to disphoria is the important thing.

If the exploration of life's possibilities leads to high risk  and abusive behaviors, beware! Disphoria may have causes that are not yet available to consciousness and reason.  

Getting help from kind and interested people is cool. They can help one to be more self-aware, self-accepting, and fruitful.

• Like 1