Visibility/Media Push for ASAW 2020?

Right now, most queer organizations have little to no resources or information on aromanticism. Seeing as how Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week is coming up, I think it would be great to see positive coverage during ASAW, kind of like how multiple queer organizations (and even CNN) had some coverage about Asexuality Awareness Week this past October. Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about making this happen (and even if I did, I don't have the time or energy). Should this be handled by AUREA? Individual aros? Have I overlooked something that would make this a bad idea?

• Like 3

Well, mesaging these organisations and asking on how they would like to threat ASAW would be something everybody could do. An organization like AUREA could also offer help and pre-written articles. But I haven't been in the queer community long enough to know if this would be a valid approach.

AUREA is working with representatives from Aro Official (who has run ASAW online in the past) and from aro and a-spec advocacy groups like TAAAP to get an official ASAW website up with resources and information. Part of what we're doing is contacting publications and different groups to help spread the word. We'll be boosting ASAW events happening online and offline, so if there are people here who are doing things, definitely let us know @AUREA. Individual aros are also always welcome to reach out or join us. It's important that we, as individuals, reach out in ways only individuals can, while AUREA and other formal organizations do their part as well.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 1:25 AM, AUREA said:

Edit and update: HERE is some ASAW information up on the AUREA site. More to come when the ASAW-dedicated site launches.

I wonder if, given this thread If "Queer Platonic" should be given so much space on Introduction to Aromanticism.
Maybe it would be better mentioned elsewhere.

The" Common Misconceptions" section of A Beginner's Guide to Being an Aromantic Ally gets into fairly complex areas with the “can still love” and QPRs. whilst failing to mention that aros (including those who are also ace) can be interested in "romantic coded" activities such as kissing, hand holding, dating, candle lit dinners, etc, etc. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark said:

I wonder if, given this thread If "Queer Platonic" should be given so much space on Introduction to Aromanticism.
Maybe it would be better mentioned elsewhere.

The" Common Misconceptions" section of A Beginner's Guide to Being an Aromantic Ally gets into fairly complex areas with the “can still love” and QPRs. whilst failing to mention that aros (including those who are also ace) can be interested in "romantic coded" activities such as kissing, hand holding, dating, candle lit dinners, etc, etc. 

I believe those pamphlets went up with the original site, so it may be a while if/when they get changed. 

Although I do struggle to understand how the issue of origin of QPRs affects the commonality/frequent usage of the phrase "QPR" and related terminology in aro communities.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lokiana said:

Although I do struggle to understand how the issue of origin of QPRs affects the commonality/frequent usage of the phrase "QPR" and related terminology in aro communities.

I feel that way in which the "commonality/frequent usage" displays misunderstandings of the term's origins and/or meaning or indications that it is controversial in nature mean that it is a poor topic for an introductory pamphlet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...