Romantic cities

DeltaAro

I always wondered how cities could be called romantic. It boggles my mind.

So, I looked at some lists of the most romantic cities in the world (like this one or this). Paris or Venice are nearly always on the top.

Sadly, I haven't been in Paris or Venice, yet. But I visited Rome, which is number 5 on both linked lists. I would say it was the most impressive and beautiful city I've seen, yes, but romantic? O.o

I guess I can understand what would be romantic about Venice. There is the cliche romantic activity number 1: a gondola ride with your soulmate. :D

Have you visited (or maybe you even live there) a “romantic city”? What might allos try to express when they say that a city has a romantic atmosphere?

I haven't been travelling but I imagine when someone describes a "romantic city" it's because the scenery is very beautiful. That's the vibe I get from some of these European cities is that they're very beautiful in comparison to your average bustling modern city.

I think what makes these cities beautiful is their historic roots (not taking down old buildings) and their touch with nature.

Yeah I agree romantic cities = beautiful. I also think the country they're in can matter. For example many people think the French or Italian language is sexy and romantic so their cities are seen as more romantic.

I also find Moscow and Hamburg beautiful, but I never heard anyone describing those cities as romantic.

Maybe it has to be a special kind of beauty. There has to be a certain serenity to it, which the two certainly lack.

10 hours ago, Holmbo said:

For example many people think the French or Italian language is sexy and romantic so their cities are seen as more romantic.

French guys in movies are always stereotypical romantics (how much do you stick out as a French aro?). This may explain why the Eiffel Tower became a symbol of love.

Also real medieval architecture is far less often considered romantic than its 19th century imitations.... (oh no, I remember, the whole era was called romanticism!). I guess a genuine medieval castle just isn't playful or fantastical enough. Dark heavy walls aren't compatible with romantic feelings. That's more like it.

5 hours ago, DeltaV said:

French guys in movies are always stereotypical romantics

Not in French movies. In French movies they're either shouty village folk with baguettes or the romantic interest (then again old British movies either have chimney sweep types or posh types so same old same old).

France as a whole is romantic yes but each region of France isn't particularly romantic apart from Paris which is the capital of romance. 

On 2/12/2017 at 9:36 AM, Confidential_Con said:

It makes me wonder if there's some sort of connection with the fact that the cities envisioned as romantic (Paris, Venice, Florence, etc.) are also from countries that mostly speak romance (as in, descended from the Latin used in the Roman Empire) languages?

The words are etymologically connected, but the whole thing seems to be a bit confusing. Hope I understood this correctly: In France, chivalric literature was not written in Latin, but in Old French, which was seen as writing (only) “in a Roman manner” (= “romanz” in Old French). Because these stories were seen later as romantic the word “romantic” developed from it.

But this doesn't explain why Italy is associated with romantic love. And I also never heard of the “Romanian lover”. You rather meet Romanians in horror movies. :D

Archived