Let's talk productivity

Philbo Wiseroot

I was wondering about how you all work. First here's mine. I calendar everything! This is my calendar from last week. (Link for if the image in the spoiler is broken).

Uai41wG.png

• Green is something I've scheduled with someone else (lectures, driving lesson, meeting someone off the train, etc.).
  • Yellow is a "work" task I have scheduled (basically everything for my degree at this point).
  • Orange are "side projects" (anything that I want to to to better myself, as well as volunteering and other tasks).
  • Purple, which is for my morning, evening, and other routines and repeatable events and tasks that don't fall under work or a side project.

I use iOS Reminders and Habitica to manage my tasks as well.

I also use StayFocusd for Chrome. This blocks websites after a certain period. I have Netflix, Imgur, Feedly (my RSS reader of choice), Reddit, and YouTube blocked between 9am and 6pm on weekdays after a combined 45 minutes on the sites).

If you don't already, I would also recommend a weekly review of your life and your work.

jKZSD5X.png

This will allow you to stay abreast of how you're doing and see if anything can be got rid of in favour of more time on what you need to do first.

Finally fixed my post! So, how do you all manage your lives and productivity?

You're so good at tracking your habits :yespapo:

TW: demotivator:

Spoiler

I hate seeing myself fail, which is a big issue - I don't document my progress for this reason. I've given up on myself at this point. I'm just trying to have as much fun as I have left in life, without much order.

I'm one of thoooossseeee people o_o

Spoiler

dc637643ce.jpg  84fd993b56.jpg 

00e8602054.jpg 

Papers, please!

I adore making lists but I'm really bad at maintaining them and while I do set myself deadlines and plan shit that I need to do throughout the week, I'll usually just keep that stuff in my head. I only resort to lists if I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of tasks and need an overview, or if I need the good feelings that come with checking of the to-do boxes xD

And since I'll usually make these lists if I'm on road (aka if I can't currently work on my stuff), I need em to be on paper. I always have blocks laying around or on person + one small book to quickly jot stuff down. I get a bit fidgety if I can't "clear my head" like this and it usually results in a messy as fuck desk with papers lying around. I do use digital lists on gDrive or my desktop from time to time, but it's rather rare and only the go to for group project, cost calculations or cons ooorrrrrr if i have 5+ deadlines that overlap @____@"""" 

In bad times my workload documentation was scattered across my gDrive, Desktop, books, notes, stray papers and phone!
So, basically I'm compulsive enough to constantly write lists, but I'm not orderly enough to actually organize them 
:rofl::facepalm:

Edit: Also, if you haven't noticed, my notes are bilingual. sometimes in weird ways....

I've slightly updated my system, as @Acciuga was wondering.

First, my calendar colours have changed! (Again, here's the link for if the spoiler image expires).

AN3m3St.png

Now:

• Blue is something I've scheduled with someone else (lectures, driving lesson, meeting someone off the train, etc.).
  • Green is a "work" task I have scheduled (basically everything for my degree at this point).
  • Brown is what I actually work each day (controlled via IFTTT and my phone).

And, as before:

• Orange are "side projects" (anything that I want to to to better myself, as well as volunteering and other tasks).
  • Purple, which is for my morning, evening, and other routines and repeatable events and tasks that don't fall under work or a side project.

As before, I still use iOS Reminders and Habitica for my tasks, but I've added a "waiting-for list" , for everything I'm waiting for (currently a library card and an NUS card); and an ideas list (both to iOS). 

I also still review my week (link for if the spoiler fails again).

jKZSD5X.png

42 minutes ago, NagromMorgzy said:

I have 0 organisation skills. I tend to make my way through life with sheer luck. 

Well now's an excellent time to learn, given that school is off for some time.The websites that helped me were A Life of Productivity (particularly these articles on working in bursts, taking breaks); and and these Art of Manliness articles on creating a weekly plan (here's a video too), and routines (here's a video). I'm also listening to the Cortex podcast, which is about productivity and creativity.

• 1 month later...

I've started to use Todoist website and app (synced). I like it because of it' up to three nivous of subtask but it It also makes me loose the critical oversight as I then have to scroll to see which project needs to be worked on. It's so boring to fail I'll have to try another way. I'll take a look at the things you mentioned here @Philbo Wiseroot.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kojote said:

I thought some might like this: 
https://habitica.com/static/front

It's a "Make your To-Do-List into an RPG Adventure Game"-System =D 
Haven't tried it myself but it's supposed to be really fun.

I love this website. I used it a lot in high school, and just made a new character and am getting back into it. Happy to make a party with anyone who is using this.

Archived