Should we allow guests into the chat area?

Blue Phoenix Ace

Should guests be allowed into the chat room?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, DannyFenton123 said:

But I'll hold off on my vote for now until a few more guests come in.

As will I. I don't see it being a problem, though. At least not this early.

7 minutes ago, Tal Shi'ar said:

That depends. If it was possible to keep to guests as liable about their behaviour as members, and being able to keep them from returning if a problem arises, then yeah maybe.

Banning IP adresses?

If it is possible, then yeah. I still think it'd be better for them register first though. Tracking their IP is a lot easier I think than banning it outright, which would make things a lot easier if someone decides to keep coming back like a repeat offender, such as Rel over on AVEN.

Just now, DeMorgan said:

Not anymore we don't! Chat peaked at 11 people earlier today!

Woah that's awesome :o

but still, guests does make it hard for chatters to keep track who is who. It could make for an incentive to join if it's member only.

7 minutes ago, Robin said:

Woah that's awesome :o

but still, guests does make it hard for chatters to keep track who is who. It could make for an incentive to join if it's member only.

Note that there is still a limit on chatters, but it's about 20 or so. So your concern is still valid.

I would argue for keeping it open to guests as that led to me joining. Is there a way to change how the naming of guests works? Changing it to something that is easier to distinguish in chat?

The use of anonymity to abuse is quite concerning though. I've used chats like these as a guest before and not seen any major problems, but if you guys have had that problem over at AVEN then I understand the concern. The problem with banning IPs is that if an idiot shares an IP with a non-idiot they're both going to get banned, but I don't think  there is another option.

As far as I know, you can't change your chat name. As a guest you get assigned some random number too. As long as no guests are abusing the channel, we can leave it open. But, if it becomes comfortable for the members then we'll have to reconsider.

Could you install some sort of voting thing, where registered members vote on whether or not to kick a guest out of the chatroom? That way, even if there's not a moderator, we can keep some sort of control and hopefully won't unfairly kick out guests.

I haven't been on the chat very much, but in general I don't see a problem with it as long as the guests aren't abusing it to spam.  Assuming there haven't be any problems so far, we're probably fine to keep allowing guests.

The concern about guest making chat reach it's cap might be a problem in the future, but seeing as I haven't seen chat numbers go above ~10 here, I don't think it matters right now.

I can see one problem being some guests might continuously come and cause problems and there wouldn't be a way to keep those people out unless there's a way to ban maybe a certain computer from using chat (sorta like when you vote for an awards show without any kind of account but they make it so that you can't vote again on that computer)? I see no problem currently but if that or something else does become a problem in the future, it'd probably be best to keep it closed off from guests.

I think it'd be a good idea to have some of the chat regulars have mod controls there.

3 hours ago, Starry Sky said:

I can see one problem being some guests might continuously come and cause problems and there wouldn't be a way to keep those people out unless there's a way to ban maybe a certain computer from using chat (sorta like when you vote for an awards show without any kind of account but they make it so that you can't vote again on that computer)? I see no problem currently but if that or something else does become a problem in the future, it'd probably be best to keep it closed off from guests.

I think it'd be a good idea to have some of the chat regulars have mod controls there.

Yeah, having a chat mod would be a good idea. Although I think there is a way to ban IP addresses so that they cannot return into the chat, if we wanted to keep the openness to guests, we would definitely have to get a mod or someone to watch over the chat.

I can give moderators special chat privileges to kick/ban, but we probably wouldn't have 24 hour support there. I like the idea of members able to vote for a kick, but that might abused if a swarm of jerks register accounts just to kick people from chat. I'll see what kind of options are available, perhaps there is a plugin that can do this.

1 hour ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

I can give moderators special chat privileges to kick/ban, but we probably wouldn't have 24 hour support there. I like the idea of members able to vote for a kick, but that might abused if a swarm of jerks register accounts just to kick people from chat. I'll see what kind of options are available, perhaps there is a plugin that can do this.

Thanks Phoenix. You're doing a great job with the forums so far :D

Archived