on aro-friendly environments...

nock

A very interesting thing happened yesterday during my college freshman orientation, and although it's totally out of character for me, it gave me a lot of hope that aro-friendly environments might not be so hard to find...

So here's what happened:

We were in the middle of getting to know each other as a block in our course and the "game" we were playing was 2 Truths and a Lie. Because I'm me (and the entire event was buzzing with amatonormativity [ie people in search of romance]), I included my being aromantic as one of my truths. A lot of people thought that was a lie because they thought it odd, of course, but the number of people who thought this was a lie was equal to the number who thought me fainting in a concert/me wanting to be a Linguistics major was a lie as well. When I finally (and firmly) asserted my aromanticism, some were surprised. One of the facilitators assisting our block (an upperclassman whom I realize went to the same high school as me) excitedly said, "Oh! So you're LGBTQIA+!" Surprisingly enough, that wasn't the best thing about it.

After that, a lot of people approached me normally. The ally facilitator made a plant joke during our next game-- a game that involved awkward flirtatious gestures-- but overall they were very respectful of my uncomfortable, questioning-ace and slightly romance-repulsed ass. Even the most romantic people in the block expressed some wonder at my candidness and really just wanted to get to know me as I was. And this wasn't the best part either because at the end of the day, I made a friend out of a blockmate who's biromantic (I'm not sure if she's asexual, but I guess that's another thing we could talk about) and got along really well with most of my block. 

So yeah tbh it was really beautiful and our block is actually pretty tight now and I hope that soon, aromantic people wouldn't have to be scared of being invalidated left and right by both allos and the rest of the LGBTQIA+ community. If someone has experienced anything similar, please do tell your stories here! Or, y'know, just share your thoughts because I'm honestly never going to not want to talk about this.

22 minutes ago, nock said:

A very interesting thing happened yesterday during my college freshman orientation, and although it's totally out of character for me, it gave me a lot of hope that aro-friendly environments might not be so hard to find...

Not hard to find in the (educational) environment you are in or not hard to find in general?

21 minutes ago, nock said:

One of the facilitators assisting our block (an upperclassman whom I realize went to the same high school as me) excitedly said, "Oh! So you're LGBTQIA+!"

That's interesting considering that in a previous thread here there were some people saying that aros should go off and form their own community. Rather than being any part of LGBTQIA+.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Not hard to find in the (educational) environment you are in or not hard to find in general?

That's interesting considering that in a previous thread here there were some people saying that aros should go off and form their own community. Rather than being any part of LGBTQIA+.

Not hard to find in general!

Ah. It is, isn't it? I try not to think about it too much considering so much discourse happens at Tumblr over this very same topic that it's become so unhealthy. I still feel as though I don't have much of a right to say anything, which is why I prefer to just stand by instead of participating in those discussions. Either way it was pretty interesting to hear that. I'm still thinking about it, to be honest.

That's pretty awesome! :)

So the people immediately knew what aromantic meant, or did you have to explain it?

6 hours ago, nock said:

The ally facilitator made a plant joke during our next game-- a game that involved awkward flirtatious gestures-- but overall they were very respectful of my uncomfortable, questioning-ace and slightly romance-repulsed ass.

I don't really understand the concept of plant jokes or how they apply to being aromantic... care to explain?

It's originally an asexual joke, asexuals are supposed to reproduce asexually, supposedly like plants or amoebas. Like, you must reproduce by mitosis and budding. xD

I like to imagine what it would mean. You'd wake up one day, and pop, you've got a surprise baby who grew from your arm or whatever other place on your body. I'd like the ability to photosynthesize instead, that would be quite useful !

1 hour ago, Rising Sun said:

You'd wake up one day, and pop, you've got a surprise baby who grew from your arm or whatever other place on your body.

:gasp:

That would be absolutely horrifying.

• 1 month later...

Archived