Going Partying Alone

• roboticanary changed the title to Going Partying Alone

Interesting article, I never really thought about this whenever I go to parties, but maybe that is because everyone I know is aware that I’m not going to show up with a partner. And if there are people I don’t know then I don’t care what they think honestly.

I don’t go to movies alone though, not because I fear someone else’s judgement but because I want to talk about the movie when it is done :) And for me eating at a restaurant is a social thing so I don’t do that alone either, but that is personal of course.

Art galleries are different, but a lot of people go to those by themselves as far as I’m aware.

4 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I wonder if this differs from culture to culture. For example in American culture it seems expected to bring your spouse to a work party while in Sweden they are generally not invited.

That sounds correct. I know in the UK most people probably wouldn't bring a spouse to a work event either.

On 1/5/2023 at 6:04 PM, roboticanary said:

Its another article by Bella DePaulo

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/living-single/202212/the-thrill-of-going-to-holiday-parties-alone

I think this one is quite good, it talks about something I have been wondering about for a while, going to parties alone especially when most other people are partnered up.

I usually end up doing that because I'm not "cool" in a conventional way for my country; I've noticed that when I'm abroad though (I've only had the luxury to travel abroad only a few times though), I'm perceived more as cool, depending on the country of course. So I guess my having to go alone is mostly situational, I guess or just a result of only a few datapoints really.

Edited by MulticulturalFarmer
added words
  • Confused 1