Chart of a-spec experiences - found on reddit

nonmerci

I saw this on reddit. Some people in the comments had criticism and I get it, but I still think it is cool so I share this here. What's your thoughts ? Do you fit somewhere ?

Personally I don't use these terms to talk about romance, but cases E4, E5 and D5 describes well how I feel.

gzioly4eon7a1.png

• Like 3

Hm, I relate to some of those cases as well, but that’s the problem with these sort of charts in my opinion: People who are somewhere on either or both of those spectrums relate because it resonates with (part of) who they are. But if I show this to a random allo person, will they ‘get’ it? If the goal of the chart is to raise awareness, then that might work. But it is a far to simplistic tool to actually educate people.

Edited by Nix
Spelling
  • Like 1

This is too simple- for example it equates cohabitation with romance. But a lot of aro people want to live with (queer)platonic partners or friends, and someone can be romance-favorable but still want to live alone.

I'm also confused by the "actively seeking" thing. Favorability (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with whether or not someone is actually looking for companionship. For example allo-allo people can go through periods when they aren't looking for romance or sex. And why can't a romance-favorable aro actively seek out things that make them happy?

I don't think educational charts need to cover everything, especially when it comes to complex topics like identity, but this one is overlooking some big things.

Edited by Apex
  • Like 3

On 12/24/2022 at 6:15 AM, nonmerci said:

I saw this on reddit. Some people in the comments had criticism and I get it, but I still think it is cool so I share this here. What's your thoughts ? Do you fit somewhere ?

Personally I don't use these terms to talk about romance, but cases E4, E5 and D5 describes well how I feel.

gzioly4eon7a1.png

Aro and sex spectrum bingo? Sounds fun. I'd love to play this game someday for sure. 

i feel like this doesn't take into account the existence of something like sex-repulsed sexuals, like it's positioning them as just really sex-positive

(same goes for romantic)

Edited by EGGHEAD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EGGHEAD said:

i feel like this doesn't take into account the existence of something like sex-repulsed sexuals, like it's positioning them as just really sex-positive

(same goes for romantic)

true, the same way the definition of being a-spec is a lack of attraction, nothing about favourability toward romance/sex (which is obviously the point of this), the definition of being allo is just the presence of attraction.  i'm not sure the chart could cover all of that, but yeah, some of the phrasing could be different.  i feel like instead of looking for a quotation which matches how you feel (there is the disclaimer about them), you should just look for the intersection which does.  

also i just realized 'allosexuality' is probably yellow because of the allo aro flag.  (i noticed the green and purple immediately, of course.)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, aro_elise said:

also i just realized 'allosexuality' is probably yellow because of the allo aro flag.  (i noticed the green and purple immediately, of course.)

I checked and the alloace flag has red in it, so yeah that's on purpose. I hadn't notice that's great !

• Like 2