I just need to rant here for a sec.

whatistheromance

So a while ago I watched this great netflix show called "The Dragon Prince", and it was great for the 3 seasons I watched it! The animation was great, the story mostly made sense at times, and this was before I realized I was aro, so I wasnt as bothered by the romantic subplot, and at least there was only one.

But recently, season 4 rolled around. I thought I'd give episode 1 a go, and... It stank. I'll start with the less egregious things: The animation basically had a midlife crisis. It TRIED to make itself look better, but ended up looking horrid. The story no longer made sense at all. But its most abhorrent crime, and the reason I didnt post this in off topic:

Three. New. Romantic. Subplots.

THREE. NEW. ROMANTIC. SUBPLOTS.

WHAT KINDA COKED UP NETFLIX EXECUTIVE THOUGHT TO PUT IN THREE NEW ROMANTIC SUBPLOTS?! WHAT THE HELL, GUYS?!?!?!?! 

I JUST WANTED TO WATCH A SHOW I USED TO LIKE AND YOU ABSOLUTELY RUINED  IT WITH YOUR AMATONORMATIVITY!

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

• Angry 1

I know well how do you feel. In "Boruto" they're randomly additioning anime canons with lot of unnecessary romantic plots. There are a lot of things to serve instead of it. So many things that weren't explained or just to animate what they dropped in manga. But no, they're doing the cheapest and worst possible thing.

• Like 1

Yeah, when they don't have any ideas, show put romantic subplots out of nowhere.

Like, I don't think it comes from a professional weiter, but I remember someone on the internet justifying why there are no aro or ace characters because "shows can go on for a long time, so when they need to easily to create conflict, writers need the romantic and sexual tools, because it os quick and easy when you don't have ideas". Litteraly justifying the necessity of romance and sex in media by the idea that the writing will necessarily becomes bad. 😫

I don't know this show but I think it is sad it ends up like this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As a cupioromantic, I kind of like romantic subplots as long as they're well written and don't take away from the story. That being said, adding romance just for romance or to complicate the story, drives me insane.

Like, who's idea was it to have romance in a life or death situation?!

anyways that's why I couldn't finish the hunger games.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, whatistheromance said:

So a while ago I watched this great netflix show called "The Dragon Prince", and it was great for the 3 seasons I watched it! The animation was great, the story mostly made sense at times, and this was before I realized I was aro, so I wasnt as bothered by the romantic subplot, and at least there was only one.

But recently, season 4 rolled around. I thought I'd give episode 1 a go, and... It stank. I'll start with the less egregious things: The animation basically had a midlife crisis. It TRIED to make itself look better, but ended up looking horrid. The story no longer made sense at all. But its most abhorrent crime, and the reason I didnt post this in off topic:

Three. New. Romantic. Subplots.

THREE. NEW. ROMANTIC. SUBPLOTS.

WHAT KINDA COKED UP NETFLIX EXECUTIVE THOUGHT TO PUT IN THREE NEW ROMANTIC SUBPLOTS?! WHAT THE HELL, GUYS?!?!?!?! 

I JUST WANTED TO WATCH A SHOW I USED TO LIKE AND YOU ABSOLUTELY RUINED  IT WITH YOUR AMATONORMATIVITY!

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

Ugh. Why do shows do this??

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 2:50 PM, Disco Cow said:

anyways that's why I couldn't finish the hunger games.

I feel like the relationships in the hunger games are a pretty aro mood. Katniss wants a friend to support and care for her in this very frightening life she's living but the boys keep Romo zoning her.

Edited by Holmbo
  • Like 3