anyone else have weird phobias (no images please we don't want to scare people)

MaxIsCosmic

Dose anyone else have any weird/unusual phobias? I have trypophobia (sorry if I spelled it wrong I'm too scared to look it up) that means I have a fear of repeated holes. 

Edited by MaxIsCosmic
  • Like 2

• MaxIsCosmic changed the title to anyone else have weird phobias (no images please we don't want to scare people)

Not a phobia, but I get rather anxious when other people touch certain possessions of mine, specifically technology ones. Even if I 100% trust the person if they're holding my phone I'll always have thing nagging feeling that they're going to take information from it.

• Like 1

mine's not unusual, it's arachnophobia.  it's quite severe though, like there are countries i can never visit, movies i can't watch.  even the little guys, photos, decorations, etc. cause at minimum a brief panic reaction.  once i spotted what i quickly realized was just a crab--still cried from the shock.  always great when people make fun of it, too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harvest said:

Not a phobia, but I get rather anxious when other people touch certain possessions of mine, specifically technology ones. Even if I 100% trust the person if they're holding my phone I'll always have thing nagging feeling that they're going to take information from it.

Yess... but for different reasons. I think that they might break it, LOL. Does this count as a phobia? At least it's totally irrational.

In my teens my mom moved my computer (that I built myself and saved money for so long) out when she cleaned my room. So yeah, that tantrum was quite legendary.

It was basically her method to make me clean my room: "If you don't do it, then I'll do it for you!"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aro_elise said:

mine's not unusual, it's arachnophobia.  it's quite severe though, like there are countries i can never visit, movies i can't watch.  even the little guys, photos, decorations, etc. cause at minimum a brief panic reaction.  once i spotted what i quickly realized was just a crab--still cried from the shock.  always great when people make fun of it, too.

Well, you might not want to come to South Dakota then. I have a picture of a wolf spider I took next to a dollar bill, it was bigger than the President's portrait. And in the spring and fall on an open field on a foggy or misty morning you can see the webs they've spun all over the ground.

18 hours ago, aro_elise said:

once i spotted what i quickly realized was just a crab

Why is a crab ok, LOL? 10 legs vs. 8 legs, so?

I like spiders 🕸🕷. But I still subject them to (careful) forced relocation when they try to spin their webs in my flat (though personally I don't mind, but it's not accepted in my culture).

18 hours ago, aro_elise said:

mine's not unusual, it's arachnophobia.  it's quite severe though, like there are countries i can never visit, movies i can't watch.  even the little guys, photos, decorations, etc. cause at minimum a brief panic reaction. 

There are terrifying spiders in some horror movies. But you can create such horror versions of all animals.

I guess because arachnophobia is very common, spiders seem the no. 1 choice.

My young cousin is extremely arachnophobic and even convinced himself that some spiders can fly (actually not spiders but Opiliones), oh dear.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fanz_0__Fire said:

Pithecophobia.

I had to look this one up. (I was hesitant because I was wary of potential images, but I'm glad I learned something new at least.)

Mine is not at all unusual - it's a fear of snakes (Ophidiophobia, I think), but it's pretty severe. I basically hyperventilate even just seeing a picture, forget about irl. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's weird enough, but everyone else seems to like dogs & I don't. I was attacked when I was a child & being near one freaks me out. It doesn't have to be a big dog - the smaller ones seem to have sharper teeth. I hate people who feel entitled to take their monsters with them anywhere.

On 10/28/2022 at 5:05 PM, Fanz_0__Fire said:

Pithecophobia.

I can imagine primates causing an "uncanny valley" effect to human eyes.

• Like 1