How do I get my friends to stop shipping me with my friend?

MaxIsCosmic

Question

So I’m a very cuddly person I love hugs and contact with people. I have a friend and I feel asleep on his shoulder. When I woke up all my friends called him a simp I told them I was just tired but they keep shipping us. How do I get them to stop.

11 answers to this question

Tell them firmly that you do not appreciate this once, every time they bring this up. BUT (and this is important) do so in as boring a manner as you possibly can. A tired "you know I hate it when you do that." or "not this again". You can have an honest conversation about how this makes you feel and how you wish that they wouldn't do it ONE time. If you have already done that, or they persist: boring response every time it comes up. Tired monotone. Just complete killjoy immediately. Then don't engage further in the conversation until the subject changes.

The reason I suggest this is that from my experience, if your friends are sensitive, they will respond to emotional honesty. So one genuine conversation can help. But if they are too hung up about how fun shipping is, then any protests along the lines of "Guys, Stop! It's not LIKE that!" Will likely just put put fuel on the whole thing. You know, they can go in on the getting-the-stiff-one-to-admit-feelings trope. But if the response to bringing this shipping-nonsense up is consistently boring, then I suspect that will suck the oxygen out of this fire pretty quickly.

• Like 2

Ugh genuinely I’m so sorry, I really wish people would leave stuff like that in the past. Try to be like really stern with insisting not to ship y’all, and have your friend that you slept on help you. If they keep shipping you, eventually I’d suggest just ignoring it. I hope they stop really soon, I used to be like them and I didn’t realize just how harmful that is until I got into aro spaces. Hope they can learn sooner rather than later :/

This happens to me also, I make a lot of male friends and i hate when people ship us, jokingly or not.

If you're out as arospec you can try pulling out that card. Hope you find a way out

On 4/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, Max.and.my said:

So I’m a very cuddly person I love hugs and contact with people. I have a friend and I feel asleep on his shoulder. When I woke up all my friends called him a simp I told them I was just tired but they keep shipping us. How do I get them to stop.

Anyone who unironically uses the word "simp" has some deeper issues with how relationships work that they need to sort out, tbh. Especially if they also aren't capable of seeing physical affection as anything but romantic. 

For practical strategies though, I agree with Jedi. If these people are getting a kick out of winding you up, protesting too much is just going to make it more fun for them. 

1 hour ago, eatingcroutons said:

Anyone who unironically uses the word "simp" has some deeper issues with how relationships work that they need to sort out, tbh. Especially if they also aren't capable of seeing physical affection as anything but romantic. 

For practical strategies though, I agree with Jedi. If these people are getting a kick out of winding you up, protesting too much is just going to make it more fun for them. 

Agreed, shitty behavior.

I also agree with Jedi's advice. Alternatively if there's something you know they find annoying you can do that back. Maybe if there's some pop culture troll argument they are sick of hearing.

Guest Stupid shippers
On 4/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, MaxIsCosmic said:

Omg yes this is one of the most anoying things ever as soon as ur freinds everyone's like omg r u guys dating we decided to actually pull a prank on them about it and they shut so ask ur best freind wait let's 'date' for 1 day then send break up messages on the gc it was hilarious hope this helps 

Guest suliana

so I had a boy in my class stand up and embarrass me in front of his friend (the boy who my friends tried to ask out for me and my class) which got me so worried that after I walked up to the boy who emabaresst me and said next time shut up and he was straight quiet not even a comeback so go to the boy and tell him how you truly feel and that will make more sense from his point of view and I am being honest but its the best thing to do so try it