Asensual / Asen

Angrboda

I've been reading up on the different types of attraction that most people feel;

Platonic attraction: The desire to be close to someone as a friend.
Esthetic attraction: Finding a person's physical appearance to be pleasant.
Romantic attraction: The desire to date, use pet names, fall in love, etc. with them.
Sensual attraction: The desire to hold hands, kiss, cuddle, etc. with them.
Sexual attraction: The desire to have sex with them.

You never seem to hear people talk about being asensual or 'asen'. If anything, it seems like being Asen & being Aro are often rolled up into one thing. I mean, I myself am both, but I'm sure there are people who are just one or the other. What do you guys think? Are you both aro & asen, or just one? Have you heard the term 'asen' before?

• Like 2

I've heard the term before, but not seen it used often.

I think that people talk more about platonic attraction, romantic attraction and sexual attraction, so it is more common to see people use a label correlated to them.

Personally I would call myself anattractional : I don't feel any type of attraction. I still see all specific non-attraction as separated though, in the sense that I don't think that me missing all of them is linked and I could have feel one of them but not the other; it just didn't happen. 

• Like 2

I have not heard the term asen before. I suppose it makes sense though, an offshoot of asexuality. There does seem to be an anecdotally high correlation between asexuality and aromantacism. I would suggest that asensuality is rarer because of human upbringing. Kissing your mom on the cheek as a kid, hugging your parents, sleeping in their bed and cuddling them when scared. These are behaviors common to children and as children we associate these behaviors with good feelings. It would make more sense to me to see an asensual person be someone who had a distant relationship with their childhood upbringers. 

• Like 1

Ive come across it while realsing im Aro, but didnt look particularly deeply as it doesnt describe me. I enjoy kissing and cuddling. Asen probably is rolled into Aro or or Ace quite a lot, but I could easily imagine someone falling in love, and finding that person sexually attractive, but never wanting to kiss or cuddle them. Alternativly im sure I have seen Aro Aces wanting to find cuddle buddies, so while it probably is rolled into other terms it probably shouldnt be.

• Like 2

I do identify as asensual(abrosensual) as well as being aro/ace. Sometimes i feel sensual attraction and sometimes i don’t, it depends on my mood. 

Edited by Cocothecoconut

I'm definitely not asensual, I feel significant desire to hug or cuddle my close friends and squishes. I hadn't really heard the term before but it makes sense. My best friend isn't really a fan of physical contact, she is comfortable with it with me but mainly does it for me and not for herself, so I suppose that term might describe her.

• Like 1

I don't think I've heard the term before, but now that I think about it, I'm probably asensual. I generally don't experience sensual attraction. I hate being touched or touching other people, sometimes I get very anxious about it. Although there are times when I'm okay with being hugged by friends or hugging them, those are pretty rare. 

Edited by queer_kaleidoscope
  • Like 1