Jump to content

Are You Aro? Watch This Movie & Find Out!


merlindfluorite
 Share

Recommended Posts

(disclaimer - watching these movies won't automatically define your identity)

Post here the movies and movie couples that everyone tells you are the absolute pinnacle of romance - that do absolutely nothing for you.

Here's mine: The Notebook

An absolutely shocking display of toxic nonsense.

And another: Dirty Dancing

This is romance? Really? Sure.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 first dates. I remember seeing the ending and thinking ‘Oh wow, so this is a HORROR movie.’

Passengers. Oh so manipulation is totally fine if you REALLY love someone…

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, lovelyleaf said:

The Fault In Our Stars

Everything Everything I haven't watched the movie but I read the book and oH boY

I was working at a movie theatre when the fault in our stars came out. everybody came out crying. sure it was sad but romantic?

18 hours ago, Nix said:

50 first dates. I remember seeing the ending and thinking ‘Oh wow, so this is a HORROR movie.’

Passengers. Oh so manipulation is totally fine if you REALLY love someone…

Change the soundtrack & you wouldn't need to change anything else for 50 first dates & you could re-release that as a horror tomorrow.

Passengers I never saw but I do remember there being a bit more of a pushback because it came out right around the height of the #metoo movement

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

Passengers I never saw but I do remember there being a bit more of a pushback because it came out right around the height of the #metoo movement

True, it was not universally loved 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

I was working at a movie theatre when the fault in our stars came out. everybody came out crying. sure it was sad but romantic?

On 4/1/2022 at 11:27 PM, Nix said:

it's a romance story but both the people have cancer

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Four weddings and a funeral. It is funny, but the romance... I don't get it.

Now this is not universally love, but I remember a girl (a young teen at the time) who told me that Twilight was the best story ever. But I have never been so bored during a movie. And I've seen a lot of movies. So even if we forget all the problematic parts, I fail to see bow it is entertaining.

 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:27 AM, Nix said:

50 first dates. I remember seeing the ending and thinking ‘Oh wow, so this is a HORROR movie.’

Is it a thing with romantic movies that are named 50 something? Because we could say the same about 50 shades of grey...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Four weddings was so boring! I do love John Hannah & I think he really sold it at the funeral, but that was it. The main plot was so dull.

6 hours ago, nonmerci said:

Four weddings and a funeral. It is funny, but the romance... I don't get it.

Now this is not universally love, but I remember a girl (a young teen at the time) who told me that Twilight was the best story ever. But I have never been so bored during a movie. And I've seen a lot of movies. So even if we forget all the problematic parts, I fail to see bow it is entertaining.

Is it a thing with romantic movies that are named 50 something? Because we could say the same about 50 shades of grey...

50 Shades is based on Twilight so I guess it's appropriate that the 2 unbelievably toxic romances get mentioned together. Again, when I was managing a movie theatre, 50 Shades came out. I've never known a worst valentine's weekend rush.

So funny that all the actors from twilight will just outright drag it now 🤣

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

So funny that all the actors from twilight will just outright drag it now 🤣

Robert Pattinson never liked Twilight. He just auditionned because he wanted to date Kristen Stewart. The crazy things people do for romance !

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve watched “Dirty dancing” long time ago when i was like 16. And i actually liked the movie and thought it was a cute movie, i mean all the romantic stuff didn’t meant anything to me, i were more focused on the good music. I gotta admit it isn’t my favorite movie, but i think i wanna watch it again. I’m not repulsed by romantic stuff, but i’m more averse towards it. Which means i can watch a romantic movie, but it isn’t my cup of tea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2022 at 10:37 PM, merlindfluorite said:

(disclaimer - watching these movies won't automatically define your identity)

Post here the movies and movie couples that everyone tells you are the absolute pinnacle of romance - that do absolutely nothing for you.

Here's mine: The Notebook

An absolutely shocking display of toxic nonsense.

And another: Dirty Dancing

This is romance? Really? Sure.

I've heard something about The Sun is Also a Star

I mean, I haven't watched the movie but i read the book and that was very cool!

 

Romance is like my #5 fav genre, behind these:

- fantasy

- fiction

- sci-fi

- dystopiaaa

 

so anyways

that book was kinda cool

i mean i'm personally a more kind of "you do you" person on romance tbh but i'll occasionally enjoy one if it's not too cliche and the director/author brings a cool element into it

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2022 at 3:10 AM, nonmerci said:

Robert Pattinson never liked Twilight. He just auditionned because he wanted to date Kristen Stewart. The crazy things people do for romance !

Oh wow I never knew that, that is hilarious. I can't believe that guy is the Batman now. Unreal.

17 hours ago, A User said:

i mean i'm personally a more kind of "you do you" person on romance tbh but i'll occasionally enjoy one if it's not too cliche and the director/author brings a cool element into it

I asked a friend of mine irl to name a romantic movie & she went for the Claire Danes Romeo & Juliet

But to me - a lot of the romance in Shakespeare always came off as the 'Great Bard' poking fun at the insanity of romance? I find a lot of the romances I watch have this element to them where it's not the romance itself that makes it entertaining but sort of the environment it exists in?

(I hope we can all agree that Harold Perrineau was the best part of that movie )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

But to me - a lot of the romance in Shakespeare always came off as the 'Great Bard' poking fun at the insanity of romance? I find a lot of the romances I watch have this element to them where it's not the romance itself that makes it entertaining but sort of the environment it exists in?

Yes, especially Romeo and Julliet, I mean they are super dramatic and young in the play…

13 hours ago, merlindfluorite said:

(I hope we can all agree that Harold Perrineau was the best part of that movie )

I have to admit I don’t remember much about this movie; we watched it during drama classes when I was 14 or 15 and I had this weird resentment towards Leonardo DiCaprio (so I was mostly annoyed that I had to watch a movie with him in it). I guess because all the girls in my class were gushing over him and I just didn’t see the appeal made me dislike him 🤔

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 8:27 PM, merlindfluorite said:

Oh wow I never knew that, that is hilarious. I can't believe that guy is the Batman now. Unreal.

If you think about it, it is logical. He played Cedric in Harry Potter and his character died, so then he played a vampire, that is dead. Vampires are known to turn into bat, so now he plays the Batman.

th?id=OIP.iaJMlvJBb__DABJ0xG6enwAAAA&pid

Joke aside yeah, this is hilarious. But also a bit sad because he is associated with this role now, even if je os a great actor who deserves more recognition.

 

Anyway, talking about Harry Potter, their romances are a mess. I've seen a lot of people saying it is handled better in the book and yes it is more developped ,but..  In the book, Harry only starts to like Ginny after he saw her kiss another guy. That seems unhealthy : his jealousy causes the romantic feeling. Not a great example...

 

Edited by nonmerci
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:06 AM, Cocothecoconut said:

I’ve watched “Dirty dancing” long time ago when i was like 16. And i actually liked the movie and thought it was a cute movie, i mean all the romantic stuff didn’t meant anything to me, i were more focused on the good music. I gotta admit it isn’t my favorite movie, but i think i wanna watch it again. I’m not repulsed by romantic stuff, but i’m more averse towards it. Which means i can watch a romantic movie, but it isn’t my cup of tea. 

Oml I watched Dirty Dancing not even three days ago for the first time. It wasn't that bad.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...