aro spectrum & religion

pogadki

i was wondering if there are any religious people here?  if so, how does your faith compare with belonging to the aro apectrum?

in general, it would be interesting for me to read how even atheists / agnostics evaluate the influence of religion on the aro spectrum. maybe you just know religions that have a special and unique attitude towards romantic relationships? 

personally, my mother is a christian and of course she has a special opinion about romance and love in general.  she is sure that in some sense your usefulness as a person depends on finding the love of your life.  I am not upset by this, this is expected and I myself am able to understand what I need and in what form. but, of course, we had a lot of arguments about this. maybe you too had some kind of conflicts with religious parents?

(btw english is not my native language so i can make mistakes, sorry ^^)

• Like 3

I was raised by Christians who worried about my lack of interest in pairing off as I got older. I gave up on Christianity by 14. Around the age of 16 I began learning about my people's Shamanic beliefs, & it suited me. In our tradition sexual, gender & romantic minorites are called two spirit people. Because of our rarity we were respected; the Creator(s) must surely have had some special destiny in mind to have made us. https://imgflip.com/i/5c90v7

• Like 6

Good question, I am not religious myself but I was raised Christian. My parents are a good 40 years older then me so they come from a very strict upbringing. My mother still finds comfort in her beliefs but my father has become very sceptical of the organisation that surrounds the faith. He recently said that if he would marry my mother now, he would not go for a church ceremony. My mother was quite appalled at this 😬

So I would have guessed that my dad would come to terms with me not wanting a partner in life easier, but it was my mom who embraced it first. Though I wonder how much of that is religious upbringing. She lost her dad when she was young so she had to grow up fast… guess I’ll have to ask her.

• Like 5

There are a lot of comments in this thread which may be useful to you.

As for me, raised christian but left the religion.

In my case I'm from an area which has a reputation for both casual sex and a more general lack of class/scummyness. Religion was used in a way to try and push people towards some form of long term traditional seeming romance however in my case a lot of that push was more about fear of falling into what was seen as a damaging culture. I think I would have had similar experiences had I not been raised religious.

• Like 5