The aromantic flag and "dreamsexuality"

ilse

Putting this here since it's sort of visibility related.

Back in 2021 I remember seeing a TikTok of someone admitting to blocking random aromantic people because they thought the flag in their icons (the aro flag) was the "dreamsexual" flag. This rubbed me the wrong way back when I first saw it, you know, these innocent aromantic people being mistaken for a group of weirdos in more ways than one.

Today I saw a post by one of my favorite artists where apparently the aromantic flag has been taken synonymous for "dreamsexuality", complety stripping it from its meaning and significance and twisting in nothing more than a bad joke.

I was wondering what were other people's thoughts on this?

P.S. For those who don't know what "dreamsexuality" is, it's defined by the clowns themselves as "being sexually attracted to Dream" as in the Minecraft youtuber, probably one of the stupidest things ever coined.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Honestly, it makes me really angry. When someone takes the aromantic flag and twists its meaning like this it feels very invalidating. Aromantic people are already misunderstood and underrepresented, even within the lgbtq+ community. By claiming that the aromantic flag stands for "dreamsexuality," whoever did this is just making that problem worse.

• Like 10

First of all that sucks that people are treating our flag like that. The aro flag is still our flag and I'm still going to use it. If people are going to block others for using a dreamsexual flag, they should learn what it looks like so they know what it isn't. Also it sucks that people don't know what our flag looks like. It just goes to show how little people know about us.

2nd, I'd like to point out that there is actually a sexuality called dreamsexual, and it's not about the youtuber. However, people have taken the term to use for that and now everyone thinks that's what dreamsexuality is. Dreamsexuality is actually on the ace spectrum and is someone who is only attracted to people in dreams. You know what's wild? Before all these people stole the term, I was able to find the wiki page on it, now all I can find are pages on "dreamsexual" as in the youtuber.
It also sucks that they stole a term that was already claimed.

It was already not okay that they were claiming their like for a youtuber was their sexuality, but in the process, they stole a label that was for something else and made it look bad. I bet actual dreamsexuals(as in the people attracted to people in dreams) are feeling pretty shitty right now.

I was able to find an urban dictionary page on dreamromantic.

Edited by TheCloudyEnd
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It makes some sense because of the similarities in color. Uploaded photo for reference. When I searched dreamsexual the first result was literally an aro flag….. yikes!!! What do you see first the aro flag?

Wow, its nice to know this so I understand why someone might give me weird looks if I decided to wear aro patches or shirts in public for awareness…

F84D08B7-EC3A-4C61-8647-8A45FD3EA181.jpeg

This flag is probably the mc dream flag because I saw vids today of people burning this particular flag in mc.

Edited by Ikarus
  • Like 1

Dreamsexual, dreamromantic, and dreamgender all just make me angry. (The YT one, not the attracted in dreams one.)

Who even decided to make a term for that?? It turns the pride comminity into a joke. (I ranted about how horrible dreamsexual was to a friend once. It was. a really. long. rant.) Once I stumbled apon some Dreamsexual server in discord's server discovery, and the sheer amount of people in it was honestly a little scary...

Anyways, I'm so sorry for any aros or grey-aros who have been attacked because of a stupid label and a misunderstanding.
  • Like 6

On 3/12/2022 at 8:15 PM, Ikarus said:

It makes some sense because of the similarities in color. Uploaded photo for reference. When I searched dreamsexual the first result was literally an aro flag….. yikes!!! What do you see first the aro flag?

I decided to search too and the aro flag came up multiple times. People think it's dreamsexual flag. "Dreamsexuals" trying to claim that it isn't the aro flag. That kinda hurts.

Look at this dang reddit thread. In this particular case it isn't exactly like the aro flag but it's pretty darn close.

Spoiler

Edited by TheCloudyEnd
  • Like 1
  • Angry 4

@TheCloudyEnd I was afraid to read the comments from that reddit at first. Turns out everyone there is calling the poster out for damaging the aro community. 

It’s good to see that this harmful borderline plagiarism is being met with some repercussions. There where even people there defending real dreamsexuality (ace micro label). 

• Like 3

I know that it's just a bunch of grown adults trolling, and that makes me angrier. They are hurting us and people in the acespec community because they just can't help themselves from being bigots.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 2:43 AM, ilse said:

Putting this here since it's sort of visibility related.

Back in 2021 I remember seeing a TikTok of someone admitting to blocking random aromantic people because they thought the flag in their icons (the aro flag) was the "dreamsexual" flag. This rubbed me the wrong way back when I first saw it, you know, these innocent aromantic people being mistaken for a group of weirdos in more ways than one.

Today I saw a post by one of my favorite artists where apparently the aromantic flag has been taken synonymous for "dreamsexuality", complety stripping it from its meaning and significance and twisting in nothing more than a bad joke.

I was wondering what were other people's thoughts on this?

P.S. For those who don't know what "dreamsexuality" is, it's defined by the clowns themselves as "being sexually attracted to Dream" as in the Minecraft youtuber, probably one of the stupidest things ever coined.

I came across this recently and it made me feel so helpless- we’re not represented or known about so the fact that people will now not just have no clue who we are but will now believe that we’re associated with a completely different and disagreeable community… 

• Like 1