Thoughts on this book? Loveless by Alice Oseman

SirBeastling

I started reading it, but couldn't get through it because it isn't the type of book I normally read for fun. Anyone reach the end and want to tell me how it ends? What did you think as an aro? I thought the beginning was interesting, but I got annoyed when she felt so persistent that she needed to find a relationship when it is obvious she is aroace and doesn't need a romance to be happy.

41waimfgH1S._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I enjoyed it. For me, it was really relatable and had really similar experiences to Georgia, the main character in the book. But that's because I also just happen to be an AFAB sex-averse aroace like she is and went through a lot of the same internal conflict (even though I didn't realise I was ace until I was 23). Definitely cried at some parts. 

I don't think it's groundbreakingly good writing, but it's YA, so I wasn't expecting too much. 

In terms of the ending,

Spoiler

as you'd expect, she comes to terms with being aro/ace and recognises the value of her friendships as being just as significant relationships.

I mean, I would encourage you to read it and judge for yourself because we are just so starved for aroace representation there are no real alternatives at the moment ???

If you don't enjoy I don't see a reason to read it. I think it's good and brings all different kinds of aro topics into the story.

My only complain, which I didn't really think about until seeing it mentioned by others, is that you can tell every other character in the book is written only to be a part of the main characters arc. That makes them feel a bit flat and at times stereotypes.

• Like 2

Well... I read this book before I knew that I am Aro. Let's say I had some realizations while reading it... some that hit me hard. 

So I have a deep connection to this book and I am very grateful to Alice Oseman for writting it. 

As to the part she still trief to date...well. I actually could relate to that part heavily. I tried to date and be allo my whole life. But it annoyed me as well... espacially the kiss part. 

I guess for anybody else its not a above average book. But I can recommend it :)