I wish society would encourage us to have more fun

Holmbo

There are so many activities that are simple yet lots of people find fun. Like dancing, singing, various games or sports. But it's like all those activities people enjoy has to be boxed up and only be done at very specific circumstances. I wish that everyday there was invitations to play and just enjoy ourselves. It's like to be an adult one has to be so subdued and passive. 

• Like 10

I'm not a adult but I know what you mean I wish I had more time to do things I enjoyed like play the electric bass guitar it really helps with depression and I don't have much time to do it 

• Like 4

I am currently on a small obsession with public naming polls. When people are allowed to name stuff you get this enormous sense of good natured fun. For example the scottish gritters: https://swtrunkroads.scot/winter-service/meet-our-gritter-fleet/

Or Boaty McBoatface: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-54982020

But it is so rare to just let people have a laugh, so we end up with a whole load of boring when we could have this. Similar sort of thing applies to public art or public entertainment. A load of miserable gits getting in the way of our ability to have fun.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, Holmbo said:

It's like to be an adult one has to be so subdued and passive. 

I agree, it's sad that we're supposed to be "serious" just because we're adults and that being mature so often means being restrained and reserved. Playing and being silly and having fun is necessary for adults too! I really try to keep that spirit of being playful and not taking myself too seriously. If I'm out on a walk and come across an empty playground, I will most likely go and play ? Cannot resist the swings. Extra points if there's a zip line haha. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2021 at 11:28 AM, roboticanary said:

I am currently on a small obsession with public naming polls. When people are allowed to name stuff you get this enormous sense of good natured fun. For example the scottish gritters: https://swtrunkroads.scot/winter-service/meet-our-gritter-fleet/

Or Boaty McBoatface: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-54982020

But it is so rare to just let people have a laugh, so we end up with a whole load of boring when we could have this. Similar sort of thing applies to public art or public entertainment. A load of miserable gits getting in the way of our ability to have fun.

I can't find it on a news site - rip my google fu - but I heard of a public vote locally for I think a new hall for the exhibition centre, and the winner of the public vote was 'bin chicken'. They ended up calling it the ibis hall - ibis being the more-formal name for the bin chicken xD

On 12/6/2021 at 12:31 AM, Erederyn said:

I agree, it's sad that we're supposed to be "serious" just because we're adults and that being mature so often means being restrained and reserved. Playing and being silly and having fun is necessary for adults too! I really try to keep that spirit of being playful and not taking myself too seriously. If I'm out on a walk and come across an empty playground, I will most likely go and play ? Cannot resist the swings. Extra points if there's a zip line haha. 

I love playing on the swings, but sometimes they're a bit too low for adult legs :(

• Like 3

On 12/5/2021 at 2:31 PM, Erederyn said:

Yeah totally. And also movement in general is so important. Why do we have a culture that frowns on it in most situations. We tell kids that they should be active and play around but then seem to feel that after a certain age it's no longer necessary.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, Holmbo said:

There are so many activities that are simple yet lots of people find fun. Like dancing, singing, various games or sports. But it's like all those activities people enjoy has to be boxed up and only be done at very specific circumstances. I wish that everyday there was invitations to play and just enjoy ourselves. It's like to be an adult one has to be so subdued and passive. 

If I was younger I would join the Aro Scouts! :aropride:

Oh… they don’t exist... ok … what? Nooo!! :|

• Like 2