Allo Logic Astounds Me!

LifezVictory

Every morning in my english class we do this thing where the teacher asks us a question (things like what's the best compliment you've ever received, who's the most important person in your life etc) and then we get to ask him a question. This time it was something very simple and quite cliche (seriously Mr. Pait you're an english teacher you're supposed to be creative) what did you do this weekend?

I don't remember very many of the stories, mostly because I was still half asleep since this was my first class of the day, but one story really struck me. Basically this guy was at work and saw his female friend and wanted to say hi, but didn't because her boyfriend was with her. Like, wha? ?

Even more shockingly was that I seemed to be the only one who finds this weird! Even the teacher agreed that he did the right thing! Are you seriously telling me that once you succumb to the odd human custom of of a romantic relationship you're not even supposed to talk to members of the opposite sex? For hetero relationships anyway? Seriously, allos? Seriously? I mean come on, this cannotbe healthy! Please tell me that I am not the only one freaked out about this!

• Like 6

Well, I do understand the assumed unprofessionalism of being social with non-coworkers while at work. and if the female friend and her boyfriend were clearly in a 'moment' in their date, like feeding each other or making out then I doubt they would appreciate a greeting from someone else. 

But otherwise this is just reinforcing amatonormative ideas about the heightened specialness of romantic relationships. Sorry no one else spoke up in class, this stuff has to start being called out when we see it! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Agreed this is madness. I get respecting someones moment or cutting a conversation short as someone is busy with someone else, but if they are just there normally a short hi wouldn't be bad in anyway and is just common courtesy, in fact could have said hi to both of them and that could have been a nice gesture. Weirdness

• Like 2

Wow yeah, I agree with the others on respecting them if they were deep in conversation but for sure, in an everyday situation, this is just wild to me. 

On 9/29/2021 at 12:02 AM, Apathetic Echidna said:

But otherwise this is just reinforcing amatonormative ideas about the heightened specialness of romantic relationships. 

Yes this and it plays into this idea of possessiveness as normal in romantic relationships. 

• Like 2