introduction + a little backstory

ilse

hello! found out about this site through tumblr and wanted to give it a shot.

my name is ilse (trying out different names online), i'm a demigirl lesbian from mexico who's pondering being aro.

my crushes have always been chosen by me, however i later on realized that a good majority of those crushes were due to comphet on my part. eitherway, i have never experienced true romantic attraction and always wondered if it was due to the fact that the women in my life just weren't my type. i first came across the term aromantic on tumblr around 2016/2017, but never gave it much thought since most of the aromantic stuff there involved despising romance, something which i don't resonate with (i consider myself both romance positive and romance favourable, i just simply don't feel the attraction or the "butterflies" i'm supposed to feel), or talked about being asexual as well (i don't feel a lot of sexual attraction but it's not quite something that's important to my identity) thus i strayed away from the label for some years.

a few months ago i remembered hearing about this website and decided to do a little browsing since i felt like the label was starting to suit me more, finding out about alloaros and romance positive and romance favourable aros has helped me a lot with reflecting on my feelings.

and so that's why i'm here, pleased to make your acquaintance ?‍♀️

Edited by ilse
a little typos.
  • Like 1

Hi ilse

13 hours ago, ilse said:

romance positive and romance favourable aros has helped me a lot with reflecting on my feelings.

good to hear, it is one of those frustrating things that aromanticism is sometimes presented as a despising of romance, which is firstly ignoring those who have a more positive view of romance but also tends to get it wrong when talking about romance repulsion which is a repulsion rather than a despising. Its really cool that you found a more interesting, nuanced description of aromanticism.

• Like 1

Welcome (from someone relatively new too!) and thank you for sharing! And agreed that despising romance should not be an umbrella view for the aromantic experience, it is good to hear that you are finding descriptions that fit you more!

• Like 1