Howdy

clbaft

Hello all

I'm Syo - a biracial human shaped being, 30's, i love video games, art, food, lifting, coding, among other things. 

Just lurking and reading this forum has helped me to realise that I'm probably aro and I identify more with that than the ace side (although I am a-spec as well). I'm trying to accept it as a positive aspect of myself rather than frightening but I'm at the age where all of my friends are married and having babies and I'm just here like ?‍♀️. And everyone here seems so young! ?

Tried 'dating' thinking maybe I'm just really in the closet, but obv that was not the case, so here we are!

(p.s. always on the lookout for new friends so if you're in the UK and need some new people to hang with, hmu)

• Like 1

Welcome, nice to meet you! 

On 3/31/2021 at 4:00 PM, clbaft said:

I'm at the age where all of my friends are married and having babies and I'm just here like ?‍♀️. And everyone here seems so young! ?

Hahaha, I feel this ~ It can feel odd sometimes when others around me are "moving on" with their lives and I'm just chillin, not sure how my future will look like. I'm almost 30, so I sometimes feel like an oldie with the younger people in the aro community, but it's also exciting to see that people are able to find out about aromanticism when younger. Yay for increasing visibility!  

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here! 

Hi Syo

I agree with that idea of trying to see it as a positive. But yeah, it is tough when other people are doing the things that tend to be seen as life milestones.

On 3/31/2021 at 3:00 PM, clbaft said:

And everyone here seems so young! ?

I know, I'm in my mid twenties and already feel old

If you are looking for aro friends to hang out with it might be worth checking out the aro socials which have been running for the last few months

https://www.arocalypse.com/topic/3574-interest-in-google-meet-aromantic-socials/

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 3:18 PM, Erederyn said:

Welcome, nice to meet you! 

Hahaha, I feel this ~ It can feel odd sometimes when others around me are "moving on" with their lives and I'm just chillin, not sure how my future will look like. I'm almost 30, so I sometimes feel like an oldie with the younger people in the aro community, but it's also exciting to see that people are able to find out about aromanticism when younger. Yay for increasing visibility!  

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here! 

Absolutely! I didn't mean to imply anything. I think it's wonderful that younger people are aware of aromanticism and that they have a community that understands them, I wish that had been the case when I was younger. As you said increased visibility can only be positive for the rest of us too ! Thank you for the warm welcome :)

On 4/2/2021 at 5:06 PM, roboticanary said:

Hi Syo

I agree with that idea of trying to see it as a positive. But yeah, it is tough when other people are doing the things that tend to be seen as life milestones.

I know, I'm in my mid twenties and already feel old

If you are looking for aro friends to hang out with it might be worth checking out the aro socials which have been running for the last few months

https://www.arocalypse.com/topic/3574-interest-in-google-meet-aromantic-socials/

Yeah. Internally don't see anything wrong with being aro at all, and honestly I can see the positives most of the time - but the way society keeps telling us that platonic love isn't as 'valid' as romantic or that I'm missing out on something ... it can be draining!

I know I was complaining before but mid-twenties - early 30's were my favourite times, you get to know yourself better and things just start to click. I hope that's the case for you.

Thanks for the link, I might check out the next one. ?

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 12:15 PM, clbaft said:

mid-twenties - early 30's were my favourite times, you get to know yourself better and things just start to click. I hope that's the case for you.

Well I guess I won't know till I pass them. I will say though that it is a lot more comfortable than late teens when i hadn't got a clue what I was feeling

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm in my early 40s, so I feel ya on the age thing. I only recently realized I'm aro, so it's certainly been a ride. 

On 4/4/2021 at 7:15 AM, clbaft said:

Internally don't see anything wrong with being aro at all, and honestly I can see the positives most of the time - but the way society keeps telling us that platonic love isn't as 'valid' as romantic or that I'm missing out on something ... it can be draining!

Thiiiiiis!!

31 minutes ago, vinniebandit said:

Just listened to the Sounds fake but okay podcast featuring Barefoot Backpacker and he's still younger than me!

I remember that episode! It was great! Can't remember how old he is, though.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:00 AM, clbaft said:

I'm Syo - a biracial human shaped being, 30's, i love video games, art, food, lifting, coding, among other things.

Anyway, Hi and welcome, Syo! I'm also an avid gamer, and I went to art school. Dabbled in coding, but didn't have the patience for it. now I just fix computers for a living. Anyway, apparently ice cream is an aro thing, so I shall welcome you with the appropriate dessert.

OIP.q2N3CgSt3v7ut0c7E5SQXgHaLM?pid=ImgDe

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 3:24 PM, vinniebandit said:

Hi. You're all young! ;) Just listened to the Sounds fake but okay podcast featuring Barefoot Backpacker and he's still younger than me!

Better late than never, right?

Hah, indeed. I've always kind of known, I just didn't have the words to describe it back then. I keep hearing about that Podcast, I guess I'll have to check it out.

(btw I believe the Backpacker uses they/them pronouns :) )

On 4/6/2021 at 4:01 PM, InvisibleSquid said:

Anyway, Hi and welcome, Syo! I'm also an avid gamer, and I went to art school. Dabbled in coding, but didn't have the patience for it. now I just fix computers for a living. Anyway, apparently ice cream is an aro thing, so I shall welcome you with the appropriate dessert.

Coding is a huge test of patience... I am sticking with the front end languages so I can make pretty things, at least that feels slightly closer to art/design. I love the problem solving aspect but yeah, the algorithmic part is still a stretch. What kind of games are you into? 

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. It took me a week or 2 to build up to say hello but I'm glad I did ☺

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, clbaft said:

What kind of games are you into? 

I’m mostly into adventure/RPGs these days. I love a good Zelda-like. Moderate action, good exploration, lots of puzzles and secrets. I’m into most puzzle-type games and some point-and-click. I’m also a huge fan of metroidvanias. I’m not great at shooters, but I’ll pick one up now and then. 

• Like 1