Came out to a coworker and they took it well :)

I posted this on reddit but I wanted to share it here too! 

Like it says on the tin. I wasn't really planning on it but it came up, and I admitted to them that I don't think I feel romantic attraction to anyone. They told me something along the lines of "you're valid as fuck," which I took to be a good sign. They're very out and open about being some shade of genderqueer/non-straight/etc so I wasn't worried they'd take it badly or anything-- but still, there was a moment of worry right after I said it, and a moment of relief when they validated me.

A while ago I was happy to keep this totally to myself unless it came up in a personal situation where I'd have to explain what kind of relationships I would and wouldn't be comfortable with-- but now I realize it's... kinda nice to just talk about it. This feels like when I first realized I was bi and I found the circle of queer folks around my HS, and it was like this cool circle of people I could talk to about queer stuff without feeling out of place. It's really nice to find someone that I know I won't have to explain all of this to, even if we're not close friends. I can just say "I think I'm aromantic" and they'll be like "cool" and that's all we have to say.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

OOoooh, that's so nice to hear!

I had a queer coworker once who almost seemed to instinctually understand my aroness and it was such a great feeling, since I never talk about it with anyone but my closest friends. I didn't even realize how much it was wearing me down to be in the closet and deal with alloro bullshit until I felt the relief of being actually seen and validated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oatpunk said:

OOoooh, that's so nice to hear!

I had a queer coworker once who almost seemed to instinctually understand my aroness and it was such a great feeling, since I never talk about it with anyone but my closest friends. I didn't even realize how much it was wearing me down to be in the closet and deal with alloro bullshit until I felt the relief of being actually seen and validated.

Yeah! I'm not even under pressure from my family/friends/circle of folks to start dating or anything, so I didn't think of myself as really being "in the closet" about being aro. But you're right, it's such a change to be able to  talk about it with someone who just gets it.