Greetings!

Hello!

I'm Katie, and I am very happy to finally be at a point where I'm comfortable trying to be part of communities like this. I spent five months this year alone in an apartment with my thoughts and little contact with the outside world and have done way too much introspection to the point where it's overwhelming. Knowing that there are other people "like me" and that I can relate to their experiences even a little bit is so unexpectedly nice! After spending most of my life wondering if something was wrong with me, finding out that I'm not alone in the way I am/feel is so validating it kind of hurts. (I came here by the recommendation of someone on AVEN, which I've also joined recently)

I'm a textile artist, glassblower, and writer-of-stuff. I have two cats, and they are fuzzy and wonderful. I just graduated (very anticlimactically) from my second round of university and moved back to the US to live with my mother until I figure out where I'm even able to go next. (My world was in such a state of flux even before the world at large went topsy-turvy that I might as well have skipped this year entirely...)

I'm asexual, which took me a bafflingly long time to figure out simply because I've spent most of my life isolated from other people and didn't have much cause to think about sexuality or romance as it pertains to me personally. I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere in Texas, and I was homeschooled for most of my life. (Granted, considering what I've come to understand about children and teenagers, I'm kind of glad I didn't have a "normal" social life before university #1 because I have enough social anxiety and ptsd stuff to deal with as it is...) I think I was first introduced to the concept of ace and aro people in my first university because a good number of the girls in my sorority-for-proud-misfits were either somewhere under those umbrellas or otherwise LGBT+. At the time, I didn't really think much about the term applying to me or being an identity I could claim because a) I was busy being a crazy triple-major, and b) I wasn't interested in dating anyone and was of the mindset that such things only mattered if you were seeking out a mate (And I've never wanted to get married or have kids, so trying to identify myself didn't really cross my mind.).

I'm also pretty certain that I'm some flavor of aromantic, but I'm here partially because I'm still trying to figure that out.

• Like 3