Who accepted you and how long did it take?

Guest GreenPhoenix

Guest GreenPhoenix

Hey! I was wondering how your friends and family reacted when you told them you were aromantic.

For me personally, ive told a few friends and most of them have accepted it and understood it completely. However when i told one of my friends they said 'don't you mean aromatic' and even after i explained it she didnt understand it. Ive only told one of my family members which was my mum and she said i just needed more time and i would find someone eventually. I wonder how long it will take until she realises im not going to have a partner.

How about you guys? 

I've never really officially come out as greyro, although I definitely don't hide it most of the time either. Everyone I've told has been cool about it (once I explained what it meant, lol), and some have even been in the same boat. My best friend accepts it but also has a hard time with it since we used to date. My parents don't know and I probably won't tell them anytime soon, but they don't seem too fussed about how single I am for the most part. (I'm also romance-positive and open to being in a relationship; I just don't tend to actively pursue it.)

Edited by Raphael
grammar

That must be cool to find someone in the same boat as you. I dont know anyone else who is aro so it can feel a bit lonely at times. One of my friends who asked me out a couple years ago didnt take it so well but thats probably due to her having crushes that she talks about all the time. I dont think she can comprehend not having romantic feelings.

• Like 1

I don't think that anyone around me really believes me when I say that I'm aromantic. They pretend to accept it, out of respect, but still hope or think that I am wrong.

This includes my parents, best friends and therapist.

Time is unrelated as I'm over 30 now. I just do as always: continue living my life the way I want even if this makes me look 'weird' to others.

• Like 1

My friends (some of them are lgbt) accepted me without question. I didn't tell my parents yet because I don't believe they'll understand (they're amazing but somewhat old fashioned). 

I'm a young adult so I think they're waiting for me to get a partner... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ch0c0 said:

I don't think that anyone around me really believes me when I say that I'm aromantic. They pretend to accept it, out of respect, but still hope or think that I am wrong.

This includes my parents, best friends and therapist.

Time is unrelated as I'm over 30 now. I just do as always: continue living my life the way I want even if this makes me look 'weird' to others.

I believe you! Continue living your life and dont worry too much on what others think.

14 hours ago, Circe said:

My friends (some of them are lgbt) accepted me without question. I didn't tell my parents yet because I don't believe they'll understand (they're amazing but somewhat old fashioned). 

I'm a young adult so I think they're waiting for me to get a partner... 

Some of my friends accepted me without question too. I didn't think my parents would understand and... they haven't so far. I hope they will eventually realise it when i never get a partner.

• Like 2

It seems to be always harder with parents. I think my mother understood the concept after I explain, but she must hopes it will change. And my father... I didn't even try. He still didn't get that asexual doesn't mean "not like sex", so aromanticism? No way. Too romantic. And not open-minded : the kind who thinks that the only things that can make people happy, are the things that make him happy.

But my friends had been understanding. One dodn't know what it means so I had to explain, and he get it. Another knew what it means. Another says "finally someone who gets that I am still single and don't bother" or something like that (don't know if she is aro too, though).

On the other hand, I think that one forgot too. She is very romantic and we don't see each other often, that's why I think.

• Like 1