Migration issues superthread

Momo

• Momo pinned this topic

Email notifications are currently not working. They may or may not all go out when I fix this - I'm unsure how Invision works in that respect. This is priority #1 after the migration for me.

Update: Email notifications may be a little while (a day or two) - I need to go through support for my host to get email sending enabled.

If you can reproduce the error then a screenshot may help. It's also possible you're having a few issues due to the DNS changeover - seeing the form on the new server but submitting to the old one which could produce weird results like this. I know I had some issues for a few hours where I as getting phantom notifications loaded off the old server.

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

@Momo so the site rules/terms of service aren't substantially changing, correct? In that case, can I request clarification on one of the rules?

We have a mind to review them but no immediate plans to change anything in particular right now. If you have questions about them then please ask but I can’t promise an immediate response but they will definitely feed into that review at a minimum for a response later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tagor said:

If you try to reach the unread feed https://www.arocalypse.com/forums/discover/unread/ it says it doesn't exist and throws Error code: 1S160/2

Worked after using the link from the main Site instead of the Tab i already had open

Thanks for reporting this! There was an effort to make old links work but apparently it wasn't quite working. This is fixed now.

17 minutes ago, Momo said:

We have a mind to review them but no immediate plans to change anything in particular right now. If you have questions about them then please ask but I can’t promise an immediate response but they will definitely feed into that review at a minimum for a response later. 

Very well.

One of the things I'd like to request clarification on is Rule 2b, on Personal Insults. Here's what the rule currently says:

b. Personal insults
Personally insulting other users in any way is unacceptable. This includes, but is not limited to, using a person's race, sex, gender identity or expression, creed, disability, nationality, or sexual orientation as a way to insult any member.

I think this is a fine rule, but I think the wording could be more precise, since as it stands, it could be misleading about how the staff actually intends to interpret and apply it in practice.

For instance: Just looking at the text alone, since it says "includes, but is not limited to," I would have figured that this rule would also apply to statements like "You're irritating to deal with." Now, I could be mistaken here, but if I could read it that way, I figure it's possible that someone else might read it that way, too -- and while it's no skin off my back, I know other people can be more sensitive than I am about that kind of thing. Just saying, I wouldn't want a sensitive newbie joining the forum and thinking they're safe from those kind of comments if the staff aren't actually going to consider it against the rules.

3 minutes ago, Coyote said:

For instance: Just looking at the text alone, since it says "includes, but is not limited to," I would have figured that this rule would also apply to statements like "You're irritating to deal with." Now, I could be mistaken here, but if I could read it that way, I figure it's possible that someone else might read it that way, too -- and while it's no skin off my back, I know other people can be more sensitive than I am about that kind of thing. Just saying, I wouldn't want a sensitive newbie joining the forum and thinking they're safe from those kind of comments if the staff aren't actually going to consider it against the rules.

We'll take this into consideration during the review, but on a personal note: anything with the word 'personal' in it will take some measure of judgement call on a case by case basis just by virtue of the fact that each person is individual and we can't specify a complete list of all things someone might consider an insult.

4 minutes ago, Momo said:

anything with the word 'personal' in it will take some measure of judgement call on a case by case basis just by virtue of the fact that each person is individual and we can't specify a complete list of all things someone might consider an insult.

Sure. What I'm asking for is some clarification on what criteria the staff, themselves, will use in determining whether something is a personal insult.

10 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Sure. What I'm asking for is some clarification on what criteria the staff, themselves, will use in determining whether something is a personal insult.

I can't speak for final decisions, but I suspect we may end up being more heavy handed with warnings but making many of them temporary and wear off after some period of time. That combined with a heavy dose of talking to people.

So apparently embeds are not working; I made a post with many links and some of the links to other forum posts automatically embedded and then when I tried to post it, it gave me a "403 error", but when I changed the embeds back to plain links, then it worked.

4 minutes ago, Magni said:

So apparently embeds are not working; I made a post with many links and some of the links to other forum posts automatically embedded and then when I tried to post it, it gave me a "403 error", but when I changed the embeds back to plain links, then it worked.

Thanks for the report Magni.

I've also added a list of current known issues to the first post of this thread so there's an easy reference for people.

@Magni Looks like internal embeds are working now and external embeds are degrading to just regular links without breaking the server.

Oh, I was testing it with Imgur which isn't on the official list but apparently does embed inside the editor:

Links from the following sites are supported: College Humor, Coub, Dailymotion, Facebook, Flickr, Funny Or Die, Gfycat, Google Maps, Hulu, Instagram, ReverbNation, Screencast.com, SmugMug, SoundCloud, Spotify, TED, Twitch, Twitter, Ustream, Vimeo, Vine, Wistia, YouTube, and internal links to content within the community.

Testing Gfycat:

https://gfycat.com/hollowdigitalcorydorascatfish-kittens-cats-cute

Well, so much for that. At the very least the server isn't falling over completely now.

• Like 1

Emails are using a temporary workaround to get them working. There may be some issues in the short term but all emails that should have gone out are now being retried and I will be keeping an eye on things.

34 minutes ago, bananaslug said:

I'm finding that the Grammarly chrome extension is no longer working when I try to use it on the forum. Has anyone else been having issues with their extensions working sense the server transfer?

Grammarly and CKEditor do not play well, and we received several bug reports about the same issue(s) related to how Grammarly modifies the DOM within an editor. In short = yes, there was an issue (or a couple of very related issues), and there was no way for us to resolve this outside of disabling Grammarly in the editor.

It may return when we reach a point where we can upgrade to CKEditor 5. It is my understanding that the CKEditor devs and the Grammarly devs are working together on maximum compatibility, but won't be backporting that to CKEditor 4.

-- https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/452728-grammarly-will-it-come-back-to-ips/?tab=comments#comment-2791092

Looks like this is unavailable indefinitely due to incompatibilities. Sorry! But on the upside, it should only be Grammarly that's affected.

• Like 1

• Momo unpinned this topic