any steven universe fans here?

pictureperfectparadox

Here! I do like Steven Universe a lot, but I've only watched season 1 and a few eps of season 2 so far, still have to catch up. I wrote a commentary once in my German class about the show and how it manages to represent LGBTQ+ themes in a child-friendly way. Let's just say the teacher was delighted.
Where the show really surprised me: I'm rather romance repulsed, but still I find Sapphire and Ruby are such a sweet couple. Garnet is one of my favortie characters but it's hard to choose one because everyone has something special about them, even the secondary characters. I adore the illustration of the relationships between the characters, be it friendship or love. The whole show gives me a secure and snug feeling for some reason, it's great.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 3:23 PM, NotHeartless said:

Here! I do like Steven Universe a lot, but I've only watched season 1 and a few eps of season 2 so far, still have to catch up. I wrote a commentary once in my German class about the show and how it manages to represent LGBTQ+ themes in a child-friendly way. Let's just say the teacher was delighted.
Where the show really surprised me: I'm rather romance repulsed, but still I find Sapphire and Ruby are such a sweet couple. Garnet is one of my favortie characters but it's hard to choose one because everyone has something special about them, even the secondary characters. I adore the illustration of the relationships between the characters, be it friendship or love. The whole show gives me a secure and snug feeling for some reason, it's great.

oh definitely; for me, i love the ruby-sapphire dynamic because of how their relationship is mostly characterized by traits found in healthy relationships - both platonic and romantic - like openness, honesty, and understanding. the show also does a great job of building complex, dimensional relationships, which is something that i haven't quite found in other media that people i know watch. i've had some trouble with expressing my love for steven universe because everyone around me chalks it up to a 'kid's show' just because it's animated and airs on cartoon network, so it's really wonderful to find someone who shares the same sentiments for this show!

• Like 3

Yeah, you're right - their relationship is healthy first of all and it shows in a wonderful way.
I can imagine a lot of people around you say it's "a kid's show". They are not completly in the wrong, but it's a show teenagers and adults can watch and enjoy just as much as younger audiences. I'm always surprised how quick people are to say something is (only) for kids when it's animated or the like. I've heard critical voices about Steven Universe in regards of the pacing and the quality of the animation but otherwise, at least in my opinion, the strong points of the show overshine the weaker ones. Oh, personally I enjoy the songs of the show too :).
I'm also happy to meet a fellow SU fan here, most people in my enviroment don't even know about the show (unless I've told them about it :D).

• 3 weeks later...

Short version: Yes

Long version: I've really enjoyed the characters' developments from their struggles and the mystery that is mostly involved with Steven. In my opinion, the show portrays a more accepting world where everyone seems less concerned with gender and more of the catastrophe/invasion that happens from time to time (if I remember correctly). Other than that and the art, the music is also pretty nice to listen to.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only know a little about it, but it's all good stuff! Although I had to do a project in school about lapis lazuli and she kept coming up, making it hard to do, cuz all the images were of her, lol.

She-Ra, the new one, seems to do a good job of what you're talking about too. The only established couple in S1 are lesbians, which isn't even spoken about, it's just part of the show, which is great, there are hints of another lesbian relationship, and all of the relationships except maybe Catra and the dark shadow lady are really positive.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes! I'm a huge fan! 

My favorite character is Garnet. 

It's such a wholesome show. 

I was about to ask a question but I just realized it would be a major spoiler in case anyone hasn't seen all of it.

So nice to see other Steven Universe fans ^-^

• Like 1