Labels

BowandAro

Are there any labels for relationships that make you uncomfortable? And if so, what do you use if you are in a relationship with someone? For example, I don’t really like the label “boyfriend/girlfriend” because I just feel like that doesn’t accurately describe my feelings towards someone. But they are still really special to me in a certain way. What would you all prefer? 

I personally have no problem saying girlfriend, but thats a whole can of worms that I don't care to open right now. Perhaps something along the lines of partner/queerplatonic partner/platonic partner would work for you?

Yeah, I rather dislike "boyfriend/girlfriend" too. The few times I attempted romo relationships, I used "my partner" most of the time because anything else felt too romantic to me (and made me repulsed). I like the term "zucchini" for a (queer)platonic partner because it's so unromantic and it makes me laugh for some reason (maybe because I have the image of a talking zucchini in mind whenever I read it). The closest I came to describe my feelings and relationship for/with someone is "close and very dear friend" or "someone who has a place in my heart".

• Thanks 1

Do you hear about QPRs (queerplatonic relationships; it is described as a strong emotional bound (some people say between platonic and romantic but I think it is amatonormative))? People call their queerplatonic partner a zucchini. Don't ask me why. Maybe it would fit your feeling?

If not, I think partner is a good term because it doesn't label a relationship has romantic I think, contrary to boyfriend or girlfriend.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting question! So, I’m poly and aromantic. I date people and have lover friends, and the emotional connections I feel towards them are pretty much the same as the emotional connections I have with platonic friends. “Boyfriend/girlfriend” are definitely not my cup of tea as labels. For people outside the poly or aromantic communities, “partner” is a word that is easy to use and is easy for most people to grasp. With other poly or aromantic people “my people” or “one of my people” is a playful way I’ll describe a dating partner or sexual partner or a close platonic friend! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I always called my QPP "my person" or "my partner". I hate the labels girlfriend and boyfriend especially applied to myself. Partner also sometimes makes me uncomfortable in certain contexts so I liked calling my QPP my person, the most.