What Is Aromanticism, Really?

confuzzledbeans

I identify as Asexual, and Gay, but i'm wondering if I could be Aromantic?

Now heres the kicker, I have a date, a 'Non-Binary friend' as I shall call them, as we are both gender non-binary. I was reading and some of the things that come up here apply to me- I.E. not seeing much point in romance stories in media, not being attached to romance in general, not understanding typical romance or why everyone does it. Not seeing the point in having a date of the opposite gender when I was young.

Now I have a 'Non-Binary Friend' and we are the most awkward people, truly. Our relationship is more like a really close friendship, but they make me feel really good, much better than hanging out with a normal friend. I love hugging them and being near them. But since we are both also Ace I feel our relationship kinda dissolves into a grey area, and sometimes I forget its a relationship at all. What do you think, can an Aromantic person be in a relationship? Is there more than Platonic but less than Romantic? Is this normal for people who are just Ace? Help me please!!

Confuzzledbeans

4 minutes ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

I would also recommend learning about the term "QPR".

I second this. 

It is possibly you have a squish on them (another term to look up, which I can't describe because I don't seem to get them).

17 hours ago, confuzzledbeans said:

What do you think, can an Aromantic person be in a relationship? Is there more than Platonic but less than Romantic? Is this normal for people who are just Ace? Help me please!!

This is, more or less word for word, the definition of a Queer Platonic Relationship. Which IIRC was coined by an aro ace person.
It's not "normal" for allo aces. Who tend to be interested in non-sexual romantic relationships.
It's also troublesome to apply to aro allos. Since the colloquial definition of "platonic" is "NOT(sexual)". Thus describing a sexual relationship as "platonic" will confuse the vast majority of people... 

13 hours ago, Jot-Aro Kujo said:

Yes. There are aros who enter romantic relationships for various reasons, and from what you're describing, I would also recommend learning about the term "QPR".

Cupioromantics desire being in romantic relationships.
I suspect that there are aros who can tolerate romantic relationships for "secondary reasons". e.g. companionship, sex, affection. 

Archived