Hello! Guess I should introduce myself

Erikyo

Hi all,

I identify myself as aromantic and heterosexual. That's what I am in general. I'm 47 and never been in a relationship with anyone. I found out about aromantism over the last year and since then, I regularly attend asexual meetings in my area.

Romantically speaking, I don't think I'm anything else than aromantic but sexually speaking, I may be graysexual or something along those lines. I think my libido level is pretty low and I would never be willing to sleep with anyone unless there is some sort of connection between us, platonic I guess.

I enjoy to come in here, it’s fun reading you folks, have a nice day y’all!

Welcome! have some colour themed digital aro icecream :aroicecream:

It is very cool that you have asexual meetings in your area! do you see other aromantic (or at least aro-spectum) people there too? 

I hope you enjoy the forums :) 

Welcome! It's been so nice to see so many new people of so many ages and backgrounds joining recently and we're really happy to have you in our diverse (and maybe a bit eclectic) group :)

On 7/23/2018 at 12:51 PM, Apathetic Echidna said:

Welcome! have some colour themed digital aro icecream :aroicecream:

It is very cool that you have asexual meetings in your area! do you see other aromantic (or at least aro-spectum) people there too? 

I hope you enjoy the forums :) 

In fact, I do meet people on the aromantic spectrum. It seems like the aro-ace combination (or around those lines) is common in our aro community. Which make sense I guess. Also, most of them are female. In fact, it would be interesting to see what the proportion of male vs female vs any other is on Apocalypse! I would enjoy meeting another male like me (aro-hetero), just you know, to talk and exchange!

5 hours ago, Erikyo said:

Also, most of them are female. In fact, it would be interesting to see what the proportion of male vs female vs any other is on Apocalypse!

yeah, ok, i've been thinking about this.  idk how to phrase this but a possible reason for more women identifying as aro is that it's more...noticeable to us?  because of the stereotype that women are more romantic and men are more sexual, like, i think some guys just don't really think much of it.  and it seems tied to heteronormativity, so being heterosexual could definitely be a part of it.  (i know that made it hard for me to realize i was aro.  the whole "you just haven't found the right person" rhetoric is thrown around in an apparent effort to assure us we're 'normal' and we kind of believe it.)  anyway, the ratio of actual aro-spec men compared to women and non-binary people could be more even, maybe even in favour of men (idk, hypothetically) but it's like, 'oh, that's how it's supposed to be.'  is that off-base?  i mean, a lot of people don't recognize the difference between not prioritizing relationships/"serious" relationships (ugh, that's a whole other discussion) or not being one for overt romantically-coded expression, and actually not experiencing romantic attraction, i.e. being aro.  including many aros, at first.  sorry, that's a lot to introduce right away.  just a taste of the kind of discussions we get into here.  ?  welcome.

17 hours ago, Erikyo said:

I would enjoy meeting another male like me (aro-hetero), just you know, to talk and exchange!

Hi! :) Don't worry, there are a few of us on here - myself, @DeltaV and @James White, at least, off the top of my head. Anything specific you wanna ask?

You might also find this thread interesting? It's one of my favourites from the site and has contributions from the folks I've mentioned above.

Archived