Aro-themed blog post

Hi everyone.

I recently started a writing blog, and have just published a distinctly aro-themed post. It's called "What To Write About When You're 100% Done Writing About Love". Hopefully it will strike a chord with other aro writers, especially poets. Here's a link if you're interested in checking it out. 

https://wordpress.com/post/corastillwrites.wordpress.com/21

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked your piece, and I think it will be really interesting to see what word combinations you come up with to describe experiences and feelings. Not having a complete or comprehensive vocabulary for the ace or aro experiences leaves the field open for people to coin words, 'cause someone has to say it the first time! Having a traceable etymology can be helpful for future reference too, so spread your words around :)

Your work encourages me. I've also mulled over the idea of writing something about being aro, but I can never really decide how. I mean, whoever reads it may very well be learning about aromanticism for the first time. I want to portray it accurately, but not jargony or whiny, and of course I want people to be interested. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like no-one really wants to listen to this stuff.

However, I have had a surprising number of interactions where people were pleasantly fascinated by us. I sat at a table at my university during aro-spec awareness week with pamphlets and aero chocolates, and a bunch of people were like, "Where can I learn more about this?" So our audience is out there, it's just easy to forget about them amidst all the love songs and stories.

Anyway, good luck with your writing!

13 hours ago, Naegleria fowleri said:

I sat at a table at my university during aro-spec awareness week with pamphlets and aero chocolates

This made me happy - I'd never made the connection with aero chocolates, haha. I hope you manage to write about your aro experiences someday.

Great text. I've never thought about how a lack of words for aromantic feelings could be an asset. You have the opportunity to write something that has never been said before. I agree that many people could relate to the feeling of alienation or being different. I also think that even allo people can sometimes worry about not feeling enough romantic love. The might wish that they had romantic feelings for someone they don't or feel guilty about putting a friend above a romantic partner. So maybe aro feelings could be relatable in such instances too.

12 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I also think that even allo people can sometimes worry about not feeling enough romantic love. The might wish that they had romantic feelings for someone they don't or feel guilty about putting a friend above a romantic partner. So maybe aro feelings could be relatable in such instances too.

Absolutely. Society worships romantic love, so there's a lot of pressure for people to always feel the grand passions of a romance novel. I doubt that's easy to maintain in a long-term relationship.

Archived