Movie Influences

Does anyone else get super insecure when you watch a movie abt a girl who doesn't want to date or a man but ends up getting getting married or find "the one" . Some movies come to mind which are Little Women and The Help. And especially when one of the reasons they find love was because of their dislike or inexperience (like it appeals to the guy like "whoa you've never dated?" ) 

These tropes make me second guess myself sometimes like what if I just need to change my perspective? Or bla bla bla more aphobic thoughts yk

I watched these movies so happy with the character but then when they are given a love interest (not to mention a bad one) it just gets more eh for me :( i get kinda disappointed. 

It’s always super annoying when that happens in movies. Doesn’t make me second guess myself though, and it shouldn’t make anybody else worry either. It’s just a silly unrealistic movie trope, that stuff doesn’t happen in real life. They only put that “I didn’t want to date until you convinced me” thing in movies to add more “spice” and “suspense” or whatever.

• Like 3

Can't say much for sure about Little Women, I haven't even actually read it or watched film adaptations, but I heard something about the author being pressured/forced to pair up last minute one of her heroines who wasn't supposed to be paired. Maybe it's that plotline you are speaking about. 

Edit: in fact it's being mentioned on this very forum just today: 

Edited by Ekaterina
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ekaterina said:

Can't say much for sure about Little Women, I haven't even actually read it or watched film adaptations, but I heard something about the author being pressured/forced to pair up last minute one of her heroines who wasn't supposed to be paired. Maybe it's that plotline you are speaking about. 

Edit: in fact it's being mentioned on this very forum just today: 

Got to read it for school and look into the history of it and that is what happened the author based the Jo character off herself and she never got married nor wanted a husband the publishers wanted the book to be more socially acceptable and so they made her add in the character. (This is not confirmed but i read somewhere she purposely made him twice her age and unattractive so she could get back at the publishers by not giving them “Prince Charming”)

• Like 3

I feel like being less in your face about it helps make it less bad. For some romances it is given as a defining character trait rather than just something that happened. A Korean web novel, that is unfortunate not officially translated nor fully fan translated, instead has the mcs have a conversation before they get married for plot reasons about if they should go through with ot given neither of them have loved anyone and don't love each other. This framing made me wonder how far I could read it as being a aro story rather than the usual use of this troupe.

Also to note the line webtoon comic Daybreak by Moosopp has this be implied by a convo between the nonbinary lead and their bestie which implies they are specifically aro besties.