This

15 minutes ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

image.png.086a1146ccc198532a841d6c16f410d0.png

Wow that’s a heck of a leap, our issue right now is overpopulation and having more kids wouldn’t be too hard to adjust to. Having few kids is much harder to make people do so sadly comparing mice to humans on a societal scale just doesn’t work. 

4 minutes ago, HelloThere said:

Wow that’s a heck of a leap, our issue right now is overpopulation and having more kids wouldn’t be too hard to adjust to. Having few kids is much harder to make people do so sadly comparing mice to humans on a societal scale just doesn’t work. 

What about the comment.

A pseudo-argument for a rat race lifestyle...

Now I've seen it all. But the "hard work" is, has been, and will be increasingly replaced by machines, robotics and AI, which no natural human can outdo. Does that mean in the end, we'll be fit for nothing but breeding? Breeding nothing but machine-maintaining humans that probably would end up being selectively bred, or culled? That's what I call dystopian...

Now if you excuse me, I have a date with myself and my depression and a glass of seemingly-purposeless-life. 😺

Edited by SkyTuneRein

7 hours ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

What about the comment.

What do you mean about it?

6 hours ago, SkyTuneRein said:

A pseudo-argument for a rat race lifestyle...

Now I've seen it all. But the "hard work" is, has been, and will be increasingly replaced by machines, robotics and AI, which no natural human can outdo. Does that mean in the end, we'll be fit for nothing but breeding? Breeding nothing but machine-maintaining humans that probably would end up being selectively bred, or culled? That's what I call dystopian...

Now if you excuse me, I have a date with myself and my depression and a glass of seemingly-purposeless-life. 😺

Yeah, their argument is kinda weak, I mean I hate to say it but comparing a box of rats to human society is a pretty poor way to argue that we all have to have kids. XD

• Like 1

its interesting how the explanation for that one particular universe of the rat utopia experiments keeps changing with the politics that happens to be popular at the time.

so its now a getting this sort of men need their biological perogatives or they go nuts sort of thing for this guy, but it was a threat of overpopulation/overcrowding thing, Make Room! Make Room!, how do we design a society that deals with population density without going mad.

for some people it has also been a thing to point to as an anti welfare, humans need to have challenge and suffering or we go crazy, this is what happens if all our needs are met. or its lack of some form of stimulation, ive seen arguments that the mice in that particular experiment just didnt have the ability to just do things like they would in nature which would send them mental.

at some point some bastard commentator is going to claim the problem is that the mice went woke and at that point my brain will turn to goop and fall out of my skull.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roboticanary said:

its interesting how the explanation for that one particular universe of the rat utopia experiments keeps changing with the politics that happens to be popular at the time.

so its now a getting this sort of men need their biological perogatives or they go nuts sort of thing for this guy, but it was a threat of overpopulation/overcrowding thing, Make Room! Make Room!, how do we design a society that deals with population density without going mad.

for some people it has also been a thing to point to as an anti welfare, humans need to have challenge and suffering or we go crazy, this is what happens if all our needs are met. or its lack of some form of stimulation, ive seen arguments that the mice in that particular experiment just didnt have the ability to just do things like they would in nature which would send them mental.

at some point some bastard commentator is going to claim the problem is that the rats went woke and at that point my brain will turn to goop and fall out of my skull.

Oh yeah, it always gets big oh lighted based on the political climate. It’s to say the least… annoying.

11 minutes ago, roboticanary said:

at some point some bastard commentator is going to claim the problem is that the rats went woke and at that point my brain will turn to goop and fall out of my skull.

I think some idiot actually said that as in the comment section they referenced a detail in the experiment that wasn't referenced where some of the rats were gay.

1 minute ago, SwiftySpeedy said:

I think some idiot actually said that as in the comment section they referenced a detail in the experiment that wasn't referenced where some of the rats were gay.

How’d they “forget” to notice that?

Hate how people complain about declining population, and then proceed to blame the problem on individuals simply choosing not to have kids instead of focusing on changing society to make raising kids a less expensive and taxing task. If you genuinely want to keep the popuation from declining, then advocate for policies that decrease the cost of living, don't shame people for their choices and preferences.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Noble-Harvest-Spear said:

Hate how people complain about declining population, and then proceed to blame the problem on individuals simply choosing not to have kids instead of focusing on changing society to make raising kids a less expensive and taxing task. If you genuinely want to keep the popuation from declining, then advocate for policies that decrease the cost of living, don't shame people for their choices and preferences.

Not to mention right now population decline is kinda a good thing, we’re overcrowded, our emissions are rising, and we don’t even have close to enough jobs for everyone.

• Like 1

A declining population can be a good thing I suppose, but I don't think it should be the solution to climate change. The problem is less that too many people are existing at the moment and more that the people existing right now rely on power sources, food, transportation etc that are harmful to the environment. This video is good at explaining my problems with focusing on overpopulation [although I don't agree with all of it necessarily, like the conclusion is a bit vague, what does it mean specifically about 'redistribution of wealth'? that could mean many different things, some of those things could be good, others could be disasterous]: 

Edited by Noble-Harvest-Spear

9 minutes ago, Noble-Harvest-Spear said:

A declining population can be a good thing I suppose, but I don't think it should be the solution to climate change. The problem is less that too many people are existing at the moment and more that the people existing right now rely on power sources, food, transportation etc that are harmful to the environment. This video is good at explaining my problems with focusing on overpopulation [although I don't agree with all of it necessarily, like the conclusion is a bit vague, what does it mean specifically about 'redistribution of wealth'? that could mean many different things, some better than others]: 

Oh yeah, I don’t blame overpopulation for that but I think that it’s one of many contributing factors we need to ramp down. After all the best way to fix it is for starters, an energy transition. Energy is by far the biggest contributor to climate change (along with agriculture at 2nd) and has been one of the hardest areas to fix as the transportation of said energy seems to be easier in fossil fuels, however I don’t think that fossil fuels are worth it at all in the end. We have about 50 years before the world runs out of oil and until then we HAVE to transition to better options like renewables, nuclear energy, and perhaps biofuel (when necessary).

• Like 2

On 5/22/2023 at 11:43 PM, SkyTuneRein said:

But the "hard work" is, has been, and will be increasingly replaced by machines, robotics and AI, which no natural human can outdo. Does that mean in the end, we'll be fit for nothing but breeding? Breeding nothing but machine-maintaining humans that probably would end up being selectively bred, or culled? That's what I call dystopian...

This is horrifying. Please write a novel about just that, where humans are trained serve machines, and are conditioned to breed to produce the next generation of servants. The machines oversee the reproduction and birth for maximum productivity, and cull the babies that don't meet standard. Then make the protagonist who saves humanity from the servitude and mindless breeding program be somewhere on the aromantic or asexual spectrum.

• Like 1