loving the romance genre (as an aro)

I personally love cheesy love stories they make me so happy dhfhdghfhdghgfhh 

but as an aro, it makes me so sad like why can't I have what my little gay people in my sketchbook have :(((

It sucks that I can't be straight

There should be more stories about people forming other kinds of relationships I think, not just romance.

I don't like romance novels but I sometimes like romance on TV because I enjoy the sexual aspects of them. I prefer queer romance because there's often an aspect of the characters growing as persons by exploring their orientation.

• Like 2

I don't really get the genre, but I grew up watching tons of romance series and for some reason admiring every single one of them. However now that I think about it, I probably felt like I had to be in a relationship someday, and not that I actually wanted it for myself. Although I must admit, that I still find romance stories interesting and sometimes even fun to watch. They can be quite entertaining, especially if they don't focus on romance and romance only, but also on other aspects of life, such as character growth and things like that. 

I also agree with the statement Holmbo made, that the media should start representing other kinds of relationships as well.

9 hours ago, Keith said:

I don't really get the genre, but I grew up watching tons of romance series and for some reason admiring every single one of them. However now that I think about it, I probably felt like I had to be in a relationship someday, and not that I actually wanted it for myself. Although I must admit, that I still find romance stories interesting and sometimes even fun to watch. They can be quite entertaining, especially if they don't focus on romance and romance only, but also on other aspects of life, such as character growth and things like that. 

I also agree with the statement Holmbo made, that the media should start representing other kinds of relationships as well.

Yeah. I kinda admire some of the romance stuff but most often with LGBTQ couples and the occasional well done addition of said romance. It’s amazing, most of my childhood has some romantic aspect in movies and I never once questioned if I wanted that myself. XD

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I love romances (to an extent)! Usually/Most of the time I'll engage in romances in book format. I love Fantasy romances and YA romances, but I don't necessarily go looking for stories completely in the Romance genre, unless the already existent storyline/plot in the book pulled me and intrigued me enough; but most of the time, a book series I buy will have romance in it unprompted and sometimes that can dwindle a bit of the experience in being fully engaged with the story, if it's written about too much/if it became a focal point when the story is about something else entirely (now if the whole entire point was for the romance to be the focus then I wouldn't be so inclined to complain if I was intrigued by the book to begin with). But me being drawn to plot is usually the case for any type of book I get, that be it sci-fi-, horror, YA, real-fiction, Fantasy (though nearly every book or book series I have is in Fantasy), etc. It's also the prose/writing style of the author that pulls me in, as well.

Now, romances in shows are a whole different ball-park, because I feel like I can kind of enjoy them more than when I'm reading about them. Of course, it would have to entice me first in what the whole entire general story is, but most of the time I would still find myself being captivated by the romance even if the plot is mediocre; if the plot was downright dumpster-trash then I wouldn't be so in tuned.

But here are some book recommendations; these ones are not from the romance genre but have enough romance in it to entice anyone romo favorable, but also hopefully not suck anyone entirely out of the story if romance isn't their thing, because these books are phenomenal reads to begin with (most of these books will be from the fantasy genre):

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor | a fantasy series where in a different world there are two races, the Chimera and the Seraphim, who are at war and through the bloodshed, a Chimera and a Seraphim form an unlikely love (has a hefty amount of romance)

Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore | a fantasy novel where the main character goes through unlimited amount of timelines of when she made different choices in certain scenarios, some of these may or may not contain romance in them

Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard | a fantasy series in which the world is divided by blood, red blood and silver blood, to which reds usually have no abilities while silvers have an arrange of complex powers, through a revolution that later takes place newbloods appear (reds with abilities)

Honorable books that are more intertwined with the romance genre:

They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera | a sci-fi novel where a national network called Death-Cast can call and inform someone of when they only have 24 hours left to live, you follow two guys, Matteo and Rufus, as they navigate their last day together

Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas | a young adult and fantasy novel where you follow the main character, a trans teen named Yadriel, who not only wants to prove his gender to his community but also prove his worth in helping the spirits of the dead

Honorable books to be either completely devoid of or nearly devoid of romance:

Elmet by Fiona Mozley | a literary novel that takes place in an eerly fable-isk world where you are in the perspective of a gender-ambiguous/nonbinary-coded kid named Daniel, who - with his father and sister - have to try to protect their home when it's threatened to be taken from them

Lost Boy by Christina Henry | a fantasy novel and a dark retelling of Captain Hook's backstory in having been a lost boy that once followed Peter Pan (this book ends up having romance slowly work it's way in, but it's definitely not the focus)

Edited by The Newest Fabled Creature
  • Like 1

I find romance to be ok in most shows or books, I tend to skip past it when possible but I don't specifically despise it. I do like romance but more towards the platonic area with the deep connections between people rather than the kissing and over the top hand holding. In most shows it does annoy me but if it's written well and it doesn't take up a lot of time then it's fine. :D

• Like 1