Coming to terms, or am I crazy?

Guest Anonymous

Question

Guest Anonymous

When I found out I was on the Aromantic spectrum, I genuinely felt ashamed and confused. I dated a member of my opposite sex before. (they were ace) I didn't feel anything romantic to them. When I broke up (roughly 2 months ago) they suggested the possibility of me being Aro, I didn't wanna jump to conclusions, so I did some research. Now I'm comfortable with it, I told them about a week ago that I am Aro, they were thrilled. My parents however I'm not sure. My siblings both want kids and to be married, I really don't see point in that, I cringe seeing romantic scenes and romantic stories. I legit hated being in English last week as we finished Romeo and Juliet. So many people in my school ask me if I'm dating people, I hate being shipped also (happened once this year) This seems like a rant, I'm sorry. I just don't know how to do this. I wanna tell my parents, but advice from you all may be helpful. 

Am I crazy?

I wish that I could understand this more, if you have some advice please help me.

3 answers to this question

You're not crazy, many other aros find themselves in experiences similar to yours; my advice would be to not let yourself be ruled by your parent's expectations, you are your own person and they must understand that.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 11:15 PM, Guest Anonymous said:

Am I crazy?

from what you write, no.

sure maybe you sit around in a gingham dress taking instructions from a hand puppet and just haven't told us, but nothing you write seems crazy.

not being sure about telling your parents something when you fear their reaction is normal. You probably respect them and want them to affirm you and the worry that they won't is real.

Also noticing that loads of people around you are really interested in romance. Yeah, that happens. Not crazy to notice it.