Article for us singles

Confirmed Bachelor

This was published this week in The Atlantic

In 1957, a team of psychology professors at the University of Michigan  released the results of a survey they had conducted—an attempt to reflect Americans’ attitudes about unmarried people. When it came to the group of adults who remained single by choice, 80 percent of the survey’s respondents—reflecting the language used by the survey’s authors—said they believed that the singletons remained so because they must be “immoral,” “sick,” or “neurotic.”  

Personally I don't think things have changed all that much. 

Full article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/07/what-does-it-really-mean-to-be-single/489701/

When you get a career and have almost no time for even yourself, they admire your dedication... but they have pity because you "can't be fully happy without someone in your life". There's no way we can win D:

Seriously? The same thing was said in a survey taken about women who choose to not have children or adopt. There's sick or neurotic or twisted about us. We just know what we want and it happens to not fit into what society has made to be "normal". If anything, that's the real & only sick & neurotic thing here. -_-

1 hour ago, The singleton said:

And has anyone noticed that asexuals think the worst thing in the world is for someone to think they might be aro? Like that's the worst thing in the world someone might call them? 

Yes. Its because "but we can still fall in love tho" is their main slogan.

(Generally all LGBTQ+ people (-the aros obviously) are like that. Most of the positivity and the it gets better movement focuses on romantic relationships and marriage. Sexuality on its own is dirty...lets be seen as anything, but not one of those queers. Same sex weddings are like the ultimate symbol of being "officially" queer.)

10 hours ago, The singleton said:

And has anyone noticed that asexuals think the worst thing in the world is for someone to think they might be aro? Like that's the worst thing in the world someone might call them? 

it's horrible to be aro ace in the ace community at times because we are the prime example people use against romantically oriented aces.

it's sickening to be the scapegoat. It's our (aro aces) fault that people think aces can't even be in a relationship & other stupid crap.

16 hours ago, The singleton said:

To be a little diferent from everyone else, no I honestly haven't. I obviously lurk in different places or something.

On 7/5/2016 at 2:28 AM, Cassiopeia said:

Yes. Its because "but we can still fall in love tho" is their main slogan.

(Generally all LGBTQ+ people (-the aros obviously) are like that. Most of the positivity and the it gets better movement focuses on romantic relationships and marriage. Sexuality on its own is dirty...lets be seen as anything, but not one of those queers. Same sex weddings are like the ultimate symbol of being "officially" queer.)

When I read this, I immediately thought of #lovewins that flooded twitter when gay marriage was legalized in the US, and like all other stuff used to defend LGBT stuff like "love is blind" or "love sees no gender' and whatnot.

Archived