The expanse full show discussion

Holmbo

The Expanse is finished. What a great run! MVP of the whole thing: Drummer. Honorable mention to Holden for giving no fucks about who he pisses of.

Although at the end I still feel mid season three was peak expanse.
What do you think?

• Like 2

Oh myyy, I can go craaazzy without bothering people ? (Well, if I do, you've been warned... and sorry :D). How on Earth Ring did I miss this thread? ?

Warning: I think this is going to be kind of messy and nonsensical to read... also, I compare a lot with the books, so that may be annoying too (and it also has many spoilers from the books).

I've finished season 6 yesterday (or is it 2 days ago now?). I didn't know it had only 6 episodes and when I've found out it does (because the 6th episode really looked like an end, but my brain still hopped that somehow they will do the Laconia/Duarte arc in 4 episodes ?... like you could make 3 books in 4 episodes), I was pissed off... I don't even understand why they showed the stuff that happens on Laconia in this season... when there isn't much about what exactly happens there even in book 7, the last I've finished (well, it's more about Laconia in season 6 than it is in book 7 or all the previous books). But the fact that they introduced these things make me hopeful that another company will produce some sort of a continuation, either through movies or new seasons. And I enjoyed those a lot (if someone would ask me who are my favorite characters... well, the answers is the Protomolecule and the Brown thing (I think  Expanse wiki calls it Unknown Entity ;))) I mean, I do like some humans too, but these two are what keep me going through all the volumes when I feel like giving up ;)))

I really liked the fact that in the show there were new things or combined things when compared to the books*. And overall, (far) more interesting. I really enjoyed the first three seasons. I think season 4 and 5 were too so much better than the books. Even season 6, though I think it's the least I like, except for the ending (I didn't like much of volume 4-6 and for sure the show helped me understand things ?). 

Even if I didn't like the arc with Inaros that much, I really loved that finally the Belters got sort of a happy ending.

Spoiler

(which Duarte is going to screw up, along side with the entire 30 years long lasting peace, but never mind...)

Drummer's character in the show is sooooo badass. I was wondering where is she in the books, and I've discovered she's sort of a combination of Michio Pa (who is also badass in the books and from whom the character of Drummer in the movies is mostly inspired) and actual Drummer (who probably is going to be badass too, because there isn't so much about her until now, but she seems like that ?).

I got pissed off they killed Alex in season 5 because of the actor... it was weird to read book 7, which happens 30 years later, with Alex still alive and kickin', especially as I like his character a lot.

I wished there would have been more in the show about Naomi and Filip, maybe how they would mend their relationship? It kind of happened the same in the books up to book 8... except Filip ended up looking for a job at a  cleaning company and had a hard time, as he didn't want to use Inaros as a surname, thus didn't have any document to be hired legally. In the books it's then when he changes to Nagata (after he runs away from his father, just before he got "eaten" by the Brown thing ?. Okay, I've enjoyed that part a lot.) 

I really liked how Holden played Avasarala at the end ? In the book, it didn't happen so radically. Indeed, Avasarala proposed Holden to be the president of the Transport Union, but he says directly then that they should give the Belters the right to have a real voice in that, so it's then when he nominalizes Michio Pa, which is the badass who does what Drummer does in season 6. He also tells Naomi afterwards that if Pa wouldn't have accepted, Naomi would have been his second proposal. When I saw that in the show, that he accepted to be president, I really felt like going crazy (like whattt??? where is the happy ending for the Belters?????). But in the end, I think I've enjoyed a lot how he accepted and then resigned so quickly ? in the show.

I didn't like much how the idea of taking interviews of people from Earth and Ceres was done in the movie. In the book, Holden came up first with the idea of taking interviews of people from Ceres who were going through hardships, in order to portray the Belters not like killers, but like normal humans, who are suffering as well. He talked with Monica Stuart too, who I think started interviews on Luna, or anyway, with Earthers somewhere. They wanted to show that no matter whether they are Belters, Earthers, or Martians, all of them people who were going through hardships, so the point was to show the real face of people from X,Y, Z and to emphasize their shared humanity. And it kind of evolved in a trend, because people from other asteroids/places started uploading similar interviews on the internet, so people basically became connected through that? I felt in the show it wasn't portrayed very well, especially what impact it actually had, not to mention that, if I remember well, in the show Avasarala came up with the idea? Why, I don't know... maybe they wanted to emphasize she wanted to change and not treat Belters as second-hand citizens anymore?

Oh, another thing that makes me think there might be a follow up is that... in the show, it's shown that Clarissa Mao has just 5 years to live, when in the book she lives for 30 years more? 

Spoiler

but she dies in book 7

There are still stuff I don't understand why the producers created for/mixed in the show, because there didn't seem to be any point with them, but this makes me hopeful too for a continuation.

As a conclusion: I did enjoy the show far more than the books. I do feel like Sci Fi did a better job than Amazon... but then also, the arc the Amazon had wasn't the best, or at least I didn't like it that much. Also, Amazon did a good job with season 4 and 5 when compared with the book. There are many things that piss me off (especially with the books), but somehow I'm really in love with the Expanse universe and the tv series contributed a lot to that ? And even if sometimes I find so hard reading the books, I do enjoy finding details about certain things, like the Protomolecule and the Brown Thing, the relationship between people and so on. And I really hope there will be more about the Protomolecule and its creators and also the Brown Thing in book 8 and 9 ? (like maybe actually communicating with them directly? =)))) I really enjoyed how they were portrayed (???) in the tv show. (Probably I resemble a little with that mad scientist that was obsessed with the Protomolecule =)))

Now, my time for questions ;)) (no need to answer to all or to any if you don't feel like it)

How did you find out about the series?

What did you enjoy the most?

Do you think there is going to be sort of a continuation (under the form of movies/new seasons?)

What would you change if you could?

Okay, maybe that's enough for now ?

Edited by Georgi

Yay I'm happy to get more discussion about this. I don't have any thoughts about the continuing plot since I've only read up to book four. I've seen so many fans rave about the books but to me the show improves on things with every aspect. As if the books were a draft to it.

How did you find out about the series?

I saw some kind of tagline (don't remember where) that this show was "game of thrones in space" and thought that seemed fun.

What did you enjoy the most?

The world building. It's just so rich and understated. Even at the start when I wasn't invested in the characters I just loved all the details. Like the corps Miller examined in season two had a "pancreatitis pump" what does that mean? Don't know but I love it.

Do you think there is going to be sort of a continuation (under the form of movies/new seasons?)

I think so but I'm not sure how connected it will be too the show. Maybe if not all the actors are available they will just bring in a few and have a new cast.

What would you change if you could?

I would make the Alex actor not be a creep so he could have been there all seasons. Also it would have been cool to have more actors returning between seasons. Like the Havelock character was supposed to return for season 4.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 5:28 PM, Holmbo said:

I saw some kind of tagline (don't remember where) that this show was "game of thrones in space" and thought that seemed fun.

While The Expanse shares the complexity and sheer epicness with Game of Thrones (also James Holden is indeed similar to John Snow, not just regarding appearance, but also character) it’s the last season and the ending where the comparisons fail.

Game of Thrones went bad in the end and ended with a massive disappointment. The finale is just atrocious. So bad it makes the whole series look bad.

The Expanse OTOH ends with one of the greatest episodes. It is very satisfying and wraps up most important plotlines. It’s the grand finale that this adventure deserves, and one that still leaves you wanting for more!

My top five finales:

1. Mr. Robot (this one is an exceptional, nearly perfect finale; and perhaps the greatest episode of the whole series)
  2. The Expanse
  3. Dark
  4. Breaking Bad
  5. The Americans
Edited by DeltaV
  • Like 1