Single life as imagined by couples?

https://www.thehappybachelor.org/blog/my-single-lifeas-imagined-by-my-coupled-friends-the-pg-13-version

Good little article I found.

It does it tongue in cheek but its really good at picking out how people see single men. The terrible house, the dodgy diet, the almost childish obsession with partying.

It quietly shows the expectation that he would need a woman to complete his life, make a grown man of him. An idea I've had put to me a few times.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 2:16 PM, roboticanary said:

https://www.thehappybachelor.org/blog/my-single-lifeas-imagined-by-my-coupled-friends-the-pg-13-version

Good little article I found.

It does it tongue in cheek but its really good at picking out how people see single men. The terrible house, the dodgy diet, the almost childish obsession with partying.

It quietly shows the expectation that he would need a woman to complete his life, make a grown man of him. An idea I've had put to me a few times.

i strongly dislike the way pepole respond to singleness

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

It seems what couples think about single males is exactly like what media portrays single men to be like. Are couples buying into that portrayal and stereotype? Or is all that media written by coupling allos so its just a reflection of an attitude already present? Probably a mix of both.

I would like to see one written about what couples think a single woman's life is like.

I think they think I wake up and make breakfast and cry over it wishing I was cooking for a husband. Then start work and wish I was staying home taking care of my own children. Then come home and cry over my dinner because I don't have a husband or kids around the table. Then stare mindlessly into space because I'm sad and lonely and joyless because I have no nuclear family to take up my time and energy. And then collapse into bed and cry some more because I am sleeping alone.

I feel like others can't comprehend enjoying singleness. I think many times a day that I am very happy and so thankful to be single. I really wish I could relay that feeling to people and have them believe it. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Fuschiaflower said:

I feel like others can't comprehend enjoying singleness. I think many times a day that I am very happy and so thankful to be single. I really wish I could relay that feeling to people and have them believe it. 

I think some people really can’t imagine that no, because they would not be happy themselves. They will not believe you when you say you are happy, even if it is practically radiating off of you. Those people unfortunately can’t place themselves in the shoes of another. Sadly I know some single women who kind of fit the stereotype you just described, with a little less crying maybe 😅

Although the ones that are single with children do get the appeal of just being by yourself…

Edited by Nix
Spelling
  • Like 4

On 4/9/2022 at 3:21 PM, Nix said:

I think some people really can’t imagine that no, because they would not be happy themselves. They will not believe you when you say you are happy, even if it is practically radiating off of you. Those people unfortunately can’t place themselves in the shoes of another. Sadly I know some single women who kind of fit the stereotype you just described, with a little less crying maybe 😅

Although the ones that are single with children do get the appeal of just being by yourself…

Yeah exactly. I also think it then forces people to wonder why romance is so important for them and they don't want to do that, which is why they rather deny what we say, and deny the existence of aromanticism, or just of happy single people. Tjat's also why some people try so hard to convince us we are not aro, because se would miss the best thing in the world,,or something like that.

Si they portray single men as playboys who are afraid of intimacy, and single women as secretly miserable. I can't count the romantic movies about women having everything but people kept saying they are missing happiness because they are not in couple; and then they meet this guy who shows them the value of a new lifestyle and suddenly they don't like their job anymore and refuse the promotion they wanted so much to move in with him... Or the woman who has everything but feels miserable cause she is single... On the other hand, for men, the guy who have sexual relationships without romance, until they find a girl who is different, they feel comfortable around her, and suddenly they realize that love can be for him and they open up to her cause she is the one...

I'm not saying it can't happen, but that's sad to see this is the only representation we have.

• Like 5