Cost of living single

This part stood out to me, and I really appreciated this being pointed out: "Single people should, in theory, be the purest embodiment of American values of self-sufficiency and individualism. That they’re not speaks to the fact that we don’t venerate the individual — we venerate the individual family." ~Amatonormativity and the sacred nuclear family~ 

• Like 7

I feel like many of these problems could be solved by living with flatmates in a more involved way. Like sharing groceries and agreeing to cook for each other out share a car. I suppose the insecurity that the situation could change is still there but that's the same with a romantic partner.

I live with a friend right now and it's nice. Sure there are lots of things he does that I don't like, but I think that's in some way a good thing as it keeps me used to dealing with the small annoyances of other people and encourages tolerance.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 6:18 PM, Holmbo said:

I feel like many of these problems could be solved by living with flatmates in a more involved way. Like sharing groceries and agreeing to cook for each other out share a car. I suppose the insecurity that the situation could change is still there but that's the same with a romantic partner.

Agreed, that would help a lot of things. The article doesn't talk too much about the idea of living with other people outside of romantic relationships, not surprising I guess but oh well.

I suppose one thing I was slightly dissapointed with because of that lack of discussion was that it doesn't mention things like no sharers clauses or the pressures the housing market puts on people who share with flatmates in comparison to couples.

• Like 3