Thoughts on faces?

Apex

So, I have this weird thing where I find faces unattractive. I can tell when someone has a nice or conventionally attractive face, I can think someone is pretty, but there's also this huge disconnect. Something just seems a little off and I'm not sure why.

I think I'd still be aromantic regardless of whether I liked faces or not. But I feel like this impacts my ability to have relationships, and is a huge limiting factor sexually. For the record I don't feel this way about the rest of people's bodies.

I thought maybe it had to do with neurodivergence/possible ASD, but people told me that it sounded more like an aromantic thing. Do any fellow aros experience this? Is it an aro thing that just doesn't get talked about? Is it an ace thing? Something else?

I can kinda relate to that. But I don't find faces unattractive, I just don't care about them at all, they're all kinda average to me. As an artist, I find them interesting to draw, since I think it's cool how everyone's faces are different, but that's it. I feel aesthetic attraction totally based on the person's style.

As you said, I can tell if someone has a nice face, but if I don't like their style, I won't find them attractive. Also, I feel this way about bodies too. Like, if you asked me who's more attractive about two people wearing the exact same clothes and hairstyle, I'll have no idea.

I don't know if that's an a-spec thing or just personal preference.

• Like 3

I'm also an artist and human faces are something that I struggle with lol. I mainly draw animals/furries/monsters/etc, and my humans always look... not quite right. I need to practice them for sure.

& it's weird because I can totally find someone attractive until I see their face :/ I guess it is most likely personal preference, since it doesn't seem too common even among aspec people. I wish I wasn't like this though

On 12/18/2021 at 2:50 PM, Apex said:

I'm also an artist and human faces are something that I struggle with lol. I mainly draw animals/furries/monsters/etc, and my humans always look... not quite right. I need to practice them for sure.

Humans are harder to draw because as people we notice something is odd more often and we take into account more types of human faces with animals and monsters and stuff we don't tend to look into the details as much though they are important ofc to the species how u do them. But I also enjoy drawing those things more often and it's good for the imagination more fun, but I have started enjoying to draw people sometimes. 

I hear a lot of ppl autism or related get that they don't get faces that well or don't relate.

Ofc it can also be a preference some people go for other aspects more and other physical I suppose, and even then the face is only one part.

I do personally like faces tho but it isn't the only thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...