Allo Aro Survey

This came up on the discord and I thought it was worth sharing here as well to see what people think of it

https://alloarboreal.tumblr.com/post/665675322978697216/survey-results

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WlLiH46EkjQmEJcm05N6ApppKJlD9jsi4V_zlR4YpGE/edit

647 responses and a fair few interesting points being made, some that I am wondering about are:

• While the majority (35.4%) did feel at least somewhat represented in the general aro community, a large amount of people (33.1%) did not feel fully welcome or did not feel welcome at all.
  • 85.5% subscribe to relationship anarchy.
  • No clear majority for romance-repulsed, -neutral and -favorable.

I also found it interesting that when looking at gender, man/boy was only a few percent behind woman/girl in the responses which is something I am really not used to in aro communities.

Anyways, have a look. This looks like it has had a lot of care put into it and hopefully it will be shared about a fair bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is an interesting survey. It is sad to see that 33% of people don't feel welcome in the aro community. I was hoping we made a better job in included them but obviously, we do not. I wonder what we can do to improve that.

It was also interesting to see there is no clear majority bing romance-repulsed, neutral and favorable. It made me think of this survey on AVEN, when it was the case also for the aros who are there, but it is very clear that for sex, sex-favorable asexual is a minority. I think it is interesting how romance don't have a clear difference for aromantics, but sex does for asexuals.

I also think it's interesting the part about ace-spec aros being included in alloaro label, because I sometimes think that if we are very vocal about acespec people using the label ace if they want to, we sometimes forget that people in the grey area don't necessarily identify with the ace umbrella but with allo people.

I like the part about if alloaros identify with an orientation more than with the other, because I once see someone who were not aromantic say that aromantic people would identify more with their (LGBT) sexual orientation if they have one because she couldn't see how the contrary could be possible. I wish I could have linked her to this survey to show that there are not a clear consensus on the subject.

I also think it is interesting that some alloaros consider their orientations linked, because it is something I see discuss for aroaces people (that they see the aro and the ace part as a whole), but that I never thought about for alloaros. Well, I will go to bed more educated today. I would be interested to learn more about it. Is it linked to the fact that a lot also consider the aromanticism influence their sexual attraction, or is it another reason? I am also curious about the fact that most people feel that way than the other away, with sexual attraction influencing their aromanticism... I am curious about all of this, do you have links where I can learn more?

3 hours ago, roboticanary said:

I also found it interesting that when looking at gender, man/boy was only a few percent behind woman/girl in the responses which is something I am really not used to in aro communities.

Yes, in particular when you compare it to the AUREA survey when it was 48% women versus 15% men... I don't know what to think about it, but it is interesting.

Anyway it was interesting, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 7:42 PM, nonmerci said:

I think it is interesting how romance don't have a clear difference for aromantics, but sex does for asexuals.

That's fascinating. I never knew sex favourable ace was such a minority so that didn't stand out to me.

AUREA survey when it was 48% women versus 15% men... I don't know what to think about it, but it is interesting

My initial thought was that it might be cultural that it is very difficult for a man to admit to not feeling sexual attraction in comparison to women and gender nonconforming people in a way that is not as big a deal with romance. Meaning allo aro is far more even split. If I remember right the AUREA survey was majority acespec. Although that is just a guess. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, roboticanary said:

That's fascinating. I never knew sex favourable ace was such a minority so that didn't stand out to me

I wonder if it is linked to how society portray sex and romance. For sex, society insists on the act, and for romance, it insists more on the feeling (that is portrayed as best thing in thé world). The value attached to it is different, too. For sex, we are all supposed to want it and think it is good, but also encourage to respect our boundaries and to not engage in it if we are not comfortable. With romance, society doesn't portray it as something you should not do if you don't feel like it, but as something pure that can only do good.

I don't know, I'm just guessing.

• Like 2

It was also interesting to see there is no clear majority bing romance-repulsed, neutral and favorable. It made me think of this survey on AVEN, when it was the case also for the aros who are there, but it is very clear that for sex, sex-favorable asexual is a minority. I think it is interesting how romance don't have a clear difference for aromantics, but sex does for asexuals.

The AVEN survey, which is presumably aro ace biased, does show a majority towards romance-favourable.
Interestingly the terms "sex-tolerant" and "romance-tolerant" are not used on either survey.

I wonder if it would be useful to split the analysis of the AUREA survey by sexual orientation. Possibly also by age group, gender and nationality. Given that the responders were rather skewed in terms of some of these demographics.

On 10/28/2021 at 12:15 PM, nonmerci said:

I wonder if it is linked to how society portray sex and romance. For sex, society insists on the act, and for romance, it insists more on the feeling (that is portrayed as best thing in thé world). The value attached to it is different, too. For sex, we are all supposed to want it and think it is good, but also encourage to respect our boundaries and to not engage in it if we are not comfortable. With romance, society doesn't portray it as something you should not do if you don't feel like it, but as something pure that can only do good.

There are also other social differences.
Sex: Private, Not Safe For Work, inappropriate for children.
Romance: Public, Safe For Work, appropriate for children.

Within amantonormative societies the assumption tends to be that everyone is expected to want sex only as part of a romantic relationship.
This raises issues for alloromantic asexuals; a different set of issues for aromantic allosexuals and another set of issues for any aromantic asexuals who may be interested in (non-sexual) romantic coded activities.
It's also plausible that allo aces and aro allos might more interested in attempting normative (romo-sexual) relationships than than aro aces.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1