Romance fatigue?

roboticanary

I'm not romance repulsed and most of the time I am ok with people being romantic around me but a few times I get in a sort of 'oh for goodness sake' sort of mood about romance. Thinking, why should I have to deal with this? and becoming quite a grumpy old man.

To me it is a feeling of tiredness, wondering why anyone would find this interesting and just wishing I was somewhere else doing something much more enjoyable than being around. 

With me the thing that really brings this on is people calling each other pet names and going all cutesy with the voice. I just think get a room for crying out loud.

Does anyone else here get that sort of tiredness at being around romance? and if so, is there anything in particular that gets to you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 12:29 AM, roboticanary said:

With me the thing that really brings this on is people calling each other pet names and going all cutesy with the voice.

I'm happy I never heard the cutesy voice irl, it would be so weird lol. Usually, pet names makes me laugh (well, it depends on the pet names, but some are realy weird).

On 8/13/2021 at 12:29 AM, roboticanary said:

Does anyone else here get that sort of tiredness at being around romance? and if so, is there anything in particular that gets to you?

Usually for me, it will be more with tv shows and fandom. I get that it is important for some people, but sometimes, 90% of a fandom is just romance, and some tv shows only relies on ships and not on the plot after a few seasons, or will do unnecessary romance just because romance sells.

In real life, some thing hat was tiring once, was when I was eating at McDonalds. There were three people next to me, and one of the girl was explaining her problems with her couple. It was something like "I love him but our couple doesn't work and that makes me sad". It lasted during all the time I was eating and went in circle. I wanted to say : "You are not compatible? Break up! It hurts on the moment but you'll find someone you are more comfortable with. That's simple, no need to argue during 30 minutes".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nonmerci said:

Usually for me, it will be more with tv shows and fandom. I get that it is important for some people, but sometimes, 90% of a fandom is just romance, and some tv shows only relies on ships and not on the plot after a few seasons, or will do unnecessary romance just because romance sells.

I can get it some fandoms are way too much romance like orientated much more than an original show ever was.

Some shipping is fun to me in the occasional sense to see what character matchups or whatever or even friendship groupings. But not the main thing no.

But there are a lot of things about certain different fandoms that are offputting for different reasons.

Too strict about cosplay or analysis (I know some fandoms be like that stripe is very slight the wrong colour xD), toxic etc XD sometimes fandoms ruin a show or media othertimes they can enhance it maybe a bit of both lol 

Yeah, I can ship characters too. What I find tiring is more when this is the only thing that is talked about. Or when some people dislike a character just because this character "threatens" their ship (even when we perfectly know the ship is "endgame" and that the third character is awesome).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nonmerci said:

well, it depends on the pet names, but some are realy weird

@nonmerci What are some examples of pet names that you think are weird (perhaps another thread could be started on this...)?

For the topic at hand, romance gets tiring in TV shows sometimes, especially if it perpetuates heteronormativity. For example, I've watched a TV show called "The Goldbergs". I enjoy the show and find it entertaining. However, when Barry, Erica and Adam all have significant others (of the opposite sex), I start to think that maybe we could have some diversity of romantic/sexual orientation here. Also, people talking about romance in real life as if everyone is interested in it or wants it annoys me to no end. This also includes judgment towards aromantic people for not being interested in romance.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RepublicServicesVolunteer said:

What are some examples of pet names that you think are weird (perhaps another thread could be started on this...)?

The one I think about are in French. Some are not specific to romantic relationship, some are not. Things like "darling" or "sweetheart" are not weird to me. May not be the most common, I don't know, but I heard "nounours" (Teddy bear) and "doudou" (comforter/blanket), and... I don't know, I guess I couldn't like to be compared to toys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not usually repulsed by romance, but sometimes I just feel like I've had enough of romance being in everything. I like platonic relationships, and there are so many times when an otherwise friendly relationship involves romance, and that can get annoying if I'm exposed to enough of it. These days I don't watch anything or read though. I'm more likely to rewatch shows I've liked than look for something new.