Hello friends!

Giu

Hi!

I'm Giu, I just graduated from uni and I'm about to start my masters degree. I'm learning Welsh so if anyone out there can speak it please send aid. 

So my friends actually figured out that I was aro before I did - growing up I was always obsessed with having a relationship and getting married and having children just because that's what I thought people were supposed to do as adults, and when baby Giu had their first epiphany of "hey... maybe I don't have a crush???" they were shot down with "of course you do, everyone does" by many classmates and so went on to find the most appropriate crush for them. It was a very well-thought-out decision I can tell you. Since becoming an adult, I realised that the "everyone has a crush" was a filthy lie, and I don't experience romantic attraction (I'd already cottoned on to the ace thing) and so here we are. I've had a total of one relationship which lasted two weeks before he embarrassed me by breaking up with me so soon, but it's chill and he's now one of my best friends, so yay! Also it did help me realise that I only wanted to be in a relationship because I thought it signified I was an Actual Adult, but now I know that that was a filthy lie too. 

I wanted to get involved with the aro community online as unlike with being ace and non-binary, I don't have my own IRL community for this part of my identity, and while my friends try, they don't always understand what I'm saying when I talk about aro-specific experiences, and sometimes you need someone who just gets it. 

• Like 4

Oof on the breakup, I'm impressed you managed to stay friends! (My two breakups ended up as charred bridges with no hope of repair.) I feel the same abt not having an IRL community, I've got tons of bi/non-straight friends to talk with, but I know approximately zero aro people IRL. This forum (along with r/aromantic tbh) has been super helpful and validating! Hope to catch you around :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Queasy_Attention said:

Oof on the breakup, I'm impressed you managed to stay friends! (My two breakups ended up as charred bridges with no hope of repair.) I feel the same abt not having an IRL community, I've got tons of bi/non-straight friends to talk with, but I know approximately zero aro people IRL. This forum (along with r/aromantic tbh) has been super helpful and validating! Hope to catch you around :)

Hope to see you around too! And sorry about your breakups ending badly, that must have been tough to go through! ❤️

• Like 2

Im glad im not the only aro who had a "obsessed with romance at a very early age" phase. Tbh I feel like the media really makes it out to be like romance is the only reason to live sometimes, ANYWAY- I hope you find your place here! We're a very welcoming community! Ive definitely felt welcomed when i first joined and i hope you do too. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GhostyPeppers said:

Im glad im not the only aro who had a "obsessed with romance at a very early age" phase. Tbh I feel like the media really makes it out to be like romance is the only reason to live sometimes, ANYWAY- I hope you find your place here! We're a very welcoming community! Ive definitely felt welcomed when i first joined and i hope you do too. 

Oh nice! I'm also glad to have found another aro who was obsessed with romance a a kid! Thank you for the welcome! ❤️ 

• Like 1