Feeling Broken

I do accept my romantic identity and my sexuality and I know I'm not broken but sometimes, I'll think about people in romantic relationships and how they look so happy, like I know I don't want that and I'm happy without it but you know when the world at large doesn't show another option it does make me feel broken. Like there's something wrong with me. I know that isn't true but, I feel it anyway sometimes.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2020 at 12:13 AM, WrenIsNotMyRealName!! said:

Hey, its chill. I feel the same way. You DO feel broken when you can't do the one thing everyone else does. And, yes this is very toxic, I do believe I'm broken. Cause like, how the heck can something like this happen? A person be completely devoid of the one thing that supposedly makes them alive?

Yeah, I get that too. For me, its more I see people in relationships and I'm like, I don't want that but what am I supposed to do in my future if not that? How do I prevent lonliness when it seems everyone in my life is going to leave me for a romantic partner. Its not like we get told about any other options.

I suppose its important to remember and try to tell ourselves that we are not broken, its just as normal to not feel attraction as it is to feel it and society as a whole kind of ignores that fact. Its hard not to feel broken when society makes you feel that you are. It sucks. But we aren't broken, I've been trying to repeat that to myself when I'm feeling down. 

1 hour ago, AllTimeBubble said:

Yeah, I get that too. For me, its more I see people in relationships and I'm like, I don't want that but what am I supposed to do in my future if not that? How do I prevent lonliness when it seems everyone in my life is going to leave me for a romantic partner. Its not like we get told about any other options.

I have felt that before, specially after getting invalidated by my therapist.

I know that there are other options for me to live happily but maybe I did not consider them before because too proud or too self-amatonormative. So now I try to be more receptive to change and possible solutions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 4:42 PM, AllTimeBubble said:

I suppose its important to remember and try to tell ourselves that we are not broken, its just as normal to not feel attraction as it is to feel it and society as a whole kind of ignores that fact. Its hard not to feel broken when society makes you feel that you are. It sucks. But we aren't broken, I've been trying to repeat that to myself when I'm feeling down. 

I have a crazy idea! Let's create a town of just aromantics! They've done something like this in Kenya where women have created a town of only women. So basically,  in this town only Aromantics and those on the aromantic spectrum would be allowed to live there. There would be exceptions for cases where we have QPP partners who aren't aspec but want to live with their aspec partner nonetheless. Oh and another exception would be adoption because we can't control a child's orientation, duh. But anyways, this way, we'll never feel alone ever again because we'd be surrounded by our comrades. Our peers. Our community! 

Of course, creating a town out of nothing is easier said than done. But it's a nice thought to say the least. ?

• Like 2

Guest creating
On 4/3/2020 at 3:05 AM, Emerald Cheetah said:

I have a crazy idea! Let's create a town of just aromantics! They've done something like this in Kenya where women have created a town of only women. So basically,  in this town only Aromantics and those on the aromantic spectrum would be allowed to live there. There would be exceptions for cases where we have QPP partners who aren't aspec but want to live with their aspec partner nonetheless. Oh and another exception would be adoption because we can't control a child's orientation, duh. But anyways, this way, we'll never feel alone ever again because we'd be surrounded by our comrades. Our peers. Our community! 

Of course, creating a town out of nothing is easier said than done. But it's a nice thought to say the least. ?

create a town is tricky, but taking over an almost abandoned neighborhood either because of cheap real estate prices or simple squatting methods can be done relativelly easilly if you already have local connections and/or a preexisting cohesive community