Symbols?

Cream puff

What are some aromantic symbols? I feel that aromanticism doesn't really have any official symbols, even the flag color is undecided. I feel almost as if It's more invisible than asexuality in a way. Of course Asexuality is just as valid. Anyways.. I know there is the ace of spades, but that's more for asexuality. I wish there was something like the asexual ring but for aromanticism.  But I was wondering if anyone knows of any other symbols?

What do you mean? The color green has been decided on for years, and even the current flag design has been the most "official" one for quite some time now. We also have arrows as a symbol, and some aros wear white rings.

You're new here, right? I recommend checking out some older threads. There have definitely been discussions about aro symbols before, so you might find some interesting thoughts there.

• Like 1

White rings on the left middle finger used to be an aro thing? White jade rings in particular were very popular because they also had green in them, but idk, this seems to be a trend that has mostly died out.We could definitely bring this back though.

• Like 2

I think the white ring for aromantic folks is still a thing, but it's not super well known because aromantic people tend to lack community, and queer folks who aren't aromantic rarely know our symbols. I have a white ring I wear stacked with a black ring on my left middle finger, since I'm aroace.

Also, with the flag thing, I have seen a few versions with yellow or orange, often in place of the white stripe, but honestly I'm not a huge fan of them. I like the version we tend to use now. But a lot of people I know were confused by the varying flags until I clarified it for them, and even I felt like I was taking a guess.

• Like 1

In terms of readily available commercial aro merch the newer green-green-white-grey-black variation has definitely become established as the standard, so I think it's pretty safe to go with that one. 

As far as other aro symbols, there is always the good old standby of "arrow" imagery! Aromantic and wordplay together, two great things in one package.

• Like 2

Ace of spades does have more an association with asexuality, though iirc it's more specifically for aroaces.

Anything with arrows is a symbol because puns are good lol.

Other things I've seen (many of these are more things adopted as aro culture rather than specific symbols per ce):

• Ice cream (aces have cake, so ice cream & cake)
  • Pizza (also parallel to cake, this time because sliced....though personally I'm not too fond of food symbols)
  • Dragons are more known as ace but are also for both? Dragons are aspec thing.  Alternatively, I've seen griffins somewhat commonly used for aros since it's another cool mythical creature.
  • More recently, bees have become a symbol....I think it's because st. valentine was also patron saint of bees, so for valentines day we ignore the romance and instead celebrate bees in a way?
  • Succulents (and plants in general) are also popular...which also matches aesthetic since green.
  • Yellow roses because they represent friendship/platonic love

So yeah overall we don't necessarily have a few specific noticeable symbols, but there's a lot of things we end up adopting as aro culture/symbols and I think that's cool 

Oh yeah! I also think a symbol we should use more often as it's useful when making pride stuff is specifically an arrowhead.  I recently made an arrow pride patch in the shape of an arrowhead and I really like it! (pictured below):

image0.jpg

• Like 4