Arocalpse 101 Page Status

sennkestra

This is a question for whoever currently manages the non-forum parts of arocalypse - 

When I was looking up aro resources pages a few weeks ago, I accidentally stumbled upon the Arocalypse 101 page section, which I had no idea even existed until now. However, I also noticed that these pages aren't accessible from the main arocalypse site (going to arocalypse.com redirects straight to the forums, which have no mention of the 101 pages that I can find) - so you have to kind of know they already exist to find them. 

Does anyone know whether these pages are still active, or are they more just a historical artifactand/or something still under contruction? 

Or, for my actual question, should I avoid including these arocalypse 101 pages in resource lists for now? I'm not sure if they were hidden for a reason or if it was just an accident of site remodeling over time

I tried using the contact form in that section but didn't get a response, which is part of what makes me wonder if they may just be archived pages that don't have up to date information or functionality. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sennkestra said:

When I was looking up aro resources pages a few weeks ago, I accidentally stumbled upon the Arocalypse 101 page section, which I had no idea even existed until now. However, I also noticed that these pages aren't accessible from the main arocalypse site (going to arocalypse.com redirects straight to the forums, which have no mention of the 101 pages that I can find) - so you have to kind of know they already exist to find them. 

Does anyone know whether these pages are still active, or are they more just a historical artifactand/or something still under contruction? 

Good question. Especially considering that the format of these pages seems different from the rest of the site and there's a PHP error.

This page seems to be left over from the early days of arocalypse. www.arocalypse.com/index was the main site of the old arocalypse forum and I suspect it was intended to keep links to the old site alive. It might well have been forgotten as it is the only part of the website which uses wordpress.

If the contact form is causing php errors, I can look into that. But I'm not really sure what the form is for. :) The information there was written several years ago and not kept up to date. Is there information there that seems wrong?

My intent is indeed for the default url to bring everybody to these forums, but I suppose I could make it more clear that the other pages exist. Can you think of a good way to do that without annoying the aro veterans of the board?

32 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

My intent is indeed for the default url to bring everybody to these forums, but I suppose I could make it more clear that the other pages exist. Can you think of a good way to do that without annoying the aro veterans of the board?

Are you able to add to the navigation tabs up top? --those things that say "Forums," "Leaderboard," and "Chatbox"?

...Actually, on that note, it might also make sense to make the Discord server link more prominent or easier to get to, as well.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 5:48 PM, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

That's a pretty good idea, I'll see if I can do something like that.

As for the Discord server, I don't run that. It's not officially associated with the site.

Well, the menu item was super easy to add after all, and it looks pretty nice. :)

Oh, gotcha. And thanks! It does look all neat and official. :3

Do you mind us suggesting some updates to the glossary?

4 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Sure, do we have some new terms to add? :)

I can think of a few.
Amantoromantivity: The widespread assumption that everyone is better off in an exclusive, romantic, sexual, cohabiting, financially entangled, long-term coupled relationship, and that everyone is seeking such a relationship.(With the implication that nobody would be better off in or seeking a different form of relationship.)
Lush: An intense attraction which is, primarily, sexual.
Romance repulsion: Where someone sees romance as something they wish to avoid. This may be romance from others towards them; social expectations to be romantic towards others or depictions of romance in popular culture.
Monogamy repulsion: Where someone sees monogamy as something they wish to avoid. This might be sexual monogamy, emotional monogamy or activity monogamy.
Romantic coded: Behaviours which are expected to be part of a romantic relationship and not other types of relationships. (e.g. kissing, hand holding, sex, dating.)
Quoiromantic: Finds the idea of romantic attraction to be inaccessible, inapplicable, nonsensical. (Whereas an aromantic person does understand the idea of "romantic attraction", as something they do not do.)

Quoiplatonic: Finds the idea of platonic attraction to be inaccessible, inapplicable, nonsensical. (A quoiplatonic person might also feel similarly about "squish" and "queerplatonic".)
Cupioromantic: Where someone, who does not experience romantic attraction, desires a romantic relationship.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

Sure, do we have some new terms to add?

Mark has some good suggestions above -- but I was just thinking of requesting a different definition for wtfromantic, since the one on the lexicon page--

• "WTFromantic: a person on the aromantic spectrum who doesn’t see the lines between romance and friendship. Any of the following may also apply: cannot define romantic attraction and therefore do not know whether they experience it, have emotions between platonic and romantic attraction, or want to be in a queerplatonic relationship "

--looks like a copy of this one--

• "Quoiromantic is a romantic orientation on the aromantic spectrum that describes people who cannot differentiate between platonic and romantic attraction, cannot define romantic attraction and therefore are not sure if they experience it, experience attraction somewhere between romantic and platonic, or want to be in a queerplatonic relationship. It’s also known as WTFromantic."

--which Cor, the coiner, has disputed (in the above linked post). Here's one of cos posts about it and here's a compilation of links of the subject.

9 hours ago, Mark said:

Quoiromantic: Finds the idea of romantic attraction to be inaccessible, inapplicable, nonsensical. (Whereas an aromantic person does understand the idea of "romantic attraction", as something they do not do.)

This, for instance, is something I'd consider a good updated definition. I'm actually less sure about that summary of aromantic as a basis of contrast though, since I know aromanticism hasn't always been so rooted in the "no romantic attraction" definition specifically -- but @sennkestra might be better able to speak to that.

15 hours ago, Coyote said:

Mark has some good suggestions above -- but I was just thinking of requesting a different definition for wtfromantic, since the one on the lexicon page--

• "WTFromantic: a person on the aromantic spectrum who doesn’t see the lines between romance and friendship. Any of the following may also apply: cannot define romantic attraction and therefore do not know whether they experience it, have emotions between platonic and romantic attraction, or want to be in a queerplatonic relationship "

Another issue with this definition is the idea of romance and friendship being part of the same spectrum. I'd view them more as orthogonal concepts.
The notion of "between platonic and romantic attraction" is a concept which may not make sense to someone who is quoiromantic, quoiplatonic or both. There's also this post by Queer as Cat on the topic.
The definition of queerplatonic on the lexicon page looks like it could also use some work. Especially the "The commitment level in a queerplatonic relationship is often considered to be similar to that of a romantic relationship." part.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 7:58 PM, Blue Phoenix Ace said:

OK, so I've added the new terms, but I'm still not sure what to do with WTFromantic. Could you all be more specific? I could just remove it if it's obsolete.

Thanks. And, hm... I'm not sure if it's obsolete, really. It's just an older version of quoiromantic. Quoiro was coined very directly to be an alternative pronunciation (since saying "wtf" out loud is... a bit much, for a prefix). I think it would make sense/be fine to either combine them or put a note saying "see quoiromantic" for wtfromantic's definition or something.

• Like 1