Intersectionality with aromanticism

Holmbo

What are some other movements/ideologies/philosophies that you think matches well with aromanticism? Obviously there's some intersectionality with most other LGBT+ movements but are there other movements one is likely to find kindered spirits?

I'm really into minimalism and feel like that matches well with aromanticism. Minimalism is essentially about doing things with intention and to really think about what makes you happy, not just what is expected or what everyone else does. Also it's easier to be a minimalist when your single than if you have a "soulmate" whom you must compromise with (unless they are a minimalist too).

I'm also a minimalist, and those values have been a driving force in my adult life.  I had never considered that it had overlap with aromanticism.  That's certainly something I need to think about now.  One of the biggest things that turns me off to romantic coupling where I live is how it's so tied with buying a gigantic house and spending excessive amounts of money together.  My last apartment was 800 square feet and I thought it was too big, but it was literally the smallest I could find in this city.

I've also noticed that a whole lot of us are trans and/or autistic.  I'm NB, myself.

I mean, feminism, as a cop-out answer.

In terms of philosophy, existentialism. At least in my experience. If you realize the traditional romance life narrative doesn't fit into your life, it's not that big of a cognitive leap to decide nothing is in the universe is inherently any certain way and you're free to pretty much do whatever you want.

12 minutes ago, techno-trashcan said:

In terms of philosophy, existentialism. At least in my experience. If you realize the traditional romance life narrative doesn't fit into your life, it's not that big of a cognitive leap to decide nothing is in the universe is inherently any certain way and you're free to pretty much do whatever you want.

Holy shit, mood I didn't even know I had.

5 hours ago, Holmbo said:

Obviously there's some intersectionality with most other LGBT+ movements

I still have the nagging doubt that aromanticism compared to LGBT identities … feels kinda waaay too subtle.

But then aromanticism is strangely of huge importance to me. I don't expect people to understand that. :)

5 hours ago, Holmbo said:

I'm really into minimalism and feel like that matches well with aromanticism. Minimalism is essentially about doing things with intention and to really think about what makes you happy, not just what is expected or what everyone else does.

Absolutely… Zen-Minimalism xD

5 hours ago, techno-trashcan said:

What variant? It goes from those Reddit subs with topics like “mammalian parthenogenesis” to ’that woman’ who managed to be in the intersection of Wikipedia-categories “feminists” and “critics of feminism”. Oh dear. :gasp::gasp: I guess any halfway normal decent person subscribes to the dictionary definition of feminism, but “the devil is in the details” couldn't be more true about this. I'm happy to keep all that stuff at an arm's length. -_-

5 hours ago, techno-trashcan said:

Yes!! I always thought that way but simply could not articulate it.

i'm poly, which in my case means i can experience sexual and/or platonic attraction to--and imagine being in some sort of relationship with--more than one person at once.  i don't understand the concept of spending your entire life with one person and not being able to share different types of love and experiences with others.  (that's certainly not the only thing about traditional marriage which doesn't work for me, but anyway.)  i'm happily single and any relationships aside from friendships aren't a priority at all.  these identities, just like my heterosexuality, simply describe how i experience attraction (or don't).  so yeah, for me, polyamory and aromanticism are quite interrelated.  i also came across a term on here, actually: relationship anarchy.  as i understand it, it pretty much fits into what i'm talking about, in that no one person or one type of relationship (including friendship) is inherently more important than any other.  each is unique.  to me, that just makes sense.

10 hours ago, techno-trashcan said:

Yeah! I don't need no man :D

10 hours ago, Zorcodtoa said:

By that definition I'm probably a minimalist by nature. Another thing I'll add is Asperger's Syndrome, as that's closely related to my aromanticism and maybe partly caused by.

I think there's some connection there. I'm not aspie myself but I have friends that have it. I like that those friends are all very straight forward in their communication and that they don't play games with friendships or social interaction. I think that can be very helpful when you want different friendships than might be the norm.

13 hours ago, aro_elise said:

i don't understand the concept of spending your entire life with one person

Usually that aspiration stays a pious romo-fantasy far too often anyway. And if it happens it usually took multiple failed attempts beforehand.

Btw, does Surrealism count? Okay, it's a cultural/art movement, not a philosophy… but… since I live in a world where – from my perspective – the majority of the population sometimes behaves very strangely and exhibits a “Blue and Orange Morality” (like that obsession with infidelity) …

The strangest of these characters are those who espouse Blue And Orange Morality. These characters have a moral framework that is so utterly alien and foreign to human experience that we can't peg them as "good" or "evil".

– TV Tropes

… Surrealism helps to put things into perspective: It could've been worse! xD You could've been born on the Fantastic Planet!

13 hours ago, Holmbo said:

Yeah! I don't need no man :D

Very well! Independent woman!

On 04/04/2018 at 5:55 AM, aro_elise said:

i'm poly, which in my case means i can experience sexual and/or platonic attraction to--and imagine being in some sort of relationship with--more than one person at once.

The notion that relationships can be of differing sorts/types is quite radical in and of itself.

On 04/04/2018 at 5:55 AM, aro_elise said:

i don't understand the concept of spending your entire life with one person and not being able to share different types of love and experiences with others.

I've never understood why so many people so enthusiastically quest for "the one". Especially those who have very good social skills. 

Archived