am i aro?

kimaheen

i'm fourteen years old and i've never had a crush. all my friends are dating or have crushes but i don't see the appeal in dating. yet, i see why people date. i don't feel anything towards dating, but i know that people date because they want to be closer to whoever they like. the closest relationship i want to have is friendship, and i'm not opposed to cuddling or anything. i'm still learning and figuring things out, so i wanted to know if this means i'm aro? because i'm not sure, but i feel like i am (if that makes any sense).

If the word “aromantic” makes you feel comfortable then I say you should use it! You don’t have to perfectly fit the definition, even though you sound aromantic to me. You should do whatever you want :D

I was actually in a very similar position to you when I was fourteen, which was when I started questioning. I knew the word 'asexual' felt Right (and later aromantic too) but I kept thinking Oh I have to make sure, what if I'm too young, etc. Anyway it turned out my instinct was right and I am aroace. So my advice would be that if a word feels right is probably is, and the fact that you're even questioning in the first place that, you know, that's got to mean something. Also you don't have to be opposed to cuddling to be aro, I'm a super cuddly aro myself! Good luck.

You could be aro, certainly. Whether or not you are is something only you can decide for yourself, but I think if you feel it, you feel it. Remember that there's nothing wrong with changing your label in the future, so don't worry too much about being "too young" to identify as aro.

It's entirely possible that you are arospec (somewhere on the aromantic spectrum).

Your description sounds fully consistent with that. 

However, when asking "am I aro" you are the only one who can truly answer that question. 

Looking back, it was really obvious that I was aromantic for a long time. However, it initially took me a while to be certain.

You don't have to be sure immediately. Take all the time you need.

Archived