Anyone been to Japan?

pengu

I'm going to Japan in two months. (Yokohama, Tokyo and Kyoto) Has anyone else been there? You have any tips or recommendations? Any experiences you want to share? :) 

I've been to Tokyo many times, as I lived in Japan for a year, and where I was located wasn't too far from Tokyo by train.  I used to go there occasionally on weekends. I'm terrible with thinking of recommendations and stuff on the spot, but if you have any questions or anything I'd be happy to try to help :) 

20 minutes ago, Xerces Blue said:

I want to go to Tokyo this summer and visit the Shirokuma Cafe in Takadanobaba

http://shirokumacafe.net/

The waitress dresses up as Sasako, and there's plushies of Panda and Penguin sitting on stools :D

whaaaaat how cute! Thanks for the tip!

21 minutes ago, PerformativeSurprise said:

I've been to Tokyo many times, as I lived in Japan for a year, and where I was located wasn't too far from Tokyo by train.  I used to go there occasionally on weekends. I'm terrible with thinking of recommendations and stuff on the spot, but if you have any questions or anything I'd be happy to try to help :) 

Ok, I have a question actually. I'm trying to figure out how to travel between Yokohama and Tokyo. Have you traveled with the metro? 

I've been to all of those places. :) I know Tokyo pretty well (I guess), I've spent like 2 months in total there. Traveling to Yokohama from Tokyo is pretty easy, it's like 25 minutes from Shibuya station if you take the Tokyu Toyoko line (take the express or limited express train, not the local train). I only visited Yokohama once, but it's a very nice city imo, especially when the weather is good. You can find Japan's biggest Chinatown there, they have some really good Chinese food!

About Tokyo: I recommend visiting Odaiba, I love the atmosphere there. Ueno Park is also nice, you can find there several museums and a zoo (with pandas)! There's also a huge toy store close to Ueno station, called Yamashiroya, which might be fun to visit. (You can also find lots of other recommendations on that website, btw.) On Sundays there are rockabilly dancers in Yoyogi Park (and some other performers as well), pretty fun to see. Meiji Shrine is next to Yoyogi Park and is also a must see. If you go to Harajuku as well, make sure to try a Harajuku crepe, they're super delicious. (Harajuku is often extremely crowded on the weekends though.) What else... Oh yeah, I don't recommend the observation decks at the Tokyo Tower. Visit the Mori Tower at Roppongi Hills instead, you'll have an amazing view there and there are often pretty cool exhibitions at the Mori Art Museum. There's also Tokyo Skytree, which has the two highest observation decks, but I haven't been there.

If you wanna know anything else, just ask!

i been in Tokyo, really wanted to go to Yokohama since one of my friends had studied there.

I would advice going around November if you want it cheap. (but I can see your not going around that time)

beside that I think learning some basic Japanese gets you far.

you don't need to be any good, but many Japanese are pretty bad at English.

also try speak Japanese-english instead of English if you talk to someone who isn't good at English.

That means you use as many Japanese words you can and if you can't say it in Japanese then say it in English but with the Japanese vocabulary. Ex don't say mc Donald but ma-ku-do-na-ru-do very clearly.

it may sound hard but it's not that difficult. If you check hiragana or katakana them you can see all the sounds you can make.

when I was in Japan I would star saying "sumimasen" (excuse me) before asking strangers something in English. It helped a lot for me when I got lost.

-

beside that I just think you should eat a lot. i really miss Japanese food. 

On 2016-04-05 at 11:34 PM, Mikasa said:

Yeah, we will stay in Yokohama since that's where our friend lives. I've seen in pictures that it is a really nice town! Thanks for the tips! There's so many parks in Tokyo but Ueno sounds nice!

On 2016-04-05 at 11:44 PM, Natkat said:

Thanks for the tips! YES, I will be spending a majority of my money at restaurants haha xD Looking forward to try out their vending-machines as well <.<

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-04-23 at 8:08 AM, Tris said:

I was in Japan last year, and really enjoyed the weekend I spent wandering Kyoto and another one in Aomori!

Any favorite things you saw while in Kyoto? 

8 hours ago, pengu said:

Any favorite things you saw while in Kyoto? 

Not that I particularly remember, but I really enjoyed wandering around on foot, seeing the city and going into little shops and such. 

On 2016-04-26 at 4:38 AM, Tris said:

Not that I particularly remember, but I really enjoyed wandering around on foot, seeing the city and going into little shops and such. 

Sometimes that's the best way to experience a new place :) 

Archived